Props to the HovaBator Genesis 1588 w/automatic turner!

If you know your instruments are reading correctly there is no need to go beyond 12-24 hours. It helps to put a little home thermometer if you want to check for temp spikes. Once everything in the incubator reaches the incubator temperature it will be stable and nothing could theoretically change by waiting 2 more days.
Thank you! Makes sense!

Okay, so after running it for 3 hours, the "ready" light is blinking, the top thermostat says 100* and 51% humidity, and the hygrometer I bought, which is next to the egg turner mechanism, so above water channel 1, says 97.9*F and 55% humidity. Seems like that would be normal for the 4" difference between the top of the incubator and the lower/middle? Should I make any adjustments as for having the egg turner in? *REMEMBER NO EGGS are in there yet!* Tomorrow afternoon, I hope.
Thanks!

Okay, so after running it for 3 hours, the "ready" light is blinking, the top thermostat says 100* and 51% humidity, and the hygrometer I bought, which is next to the egg turner mechanism, so above water channel 1, says 97.9*F and 55% humidity. Seems like that would be normal for the 4" difference between the top of the incubator and the lower/middle? Should I make any adjustments as for having the egg turner in? *REMEMBER NO EGGS are in there yet!* Tomorrow afternoon, I hope.
Thanks!
If its only been 3 hours the evaporating water in the water channel could be cooling the lower levels still. Which could account for your thermometer reading 97.9 or it could be that thermometer is reading low. After several hours you should not have a 2 degree drop in temperature from top to bottom in the 1588 since its forced air. I have seen variances of .5 to 1 degree F in different locations inside the 1588.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I dont think 97.9 is bad after 3 hours. My Genesis 1588 seem to take a few hours to 'get up there'
Where are you keeping your incubatort? I was told to keep mine in the basement where the temp is more constant...however I have had to rethink that because in our old farmhouse the basement get get down into the 50's in January and February.

The humidity reader on my Genesis can be 3 to 8 degrees LOWER than the accurite temp/humidity readers. Sometimes it will take sevearl days before they are the same. :(

Right now I have 2 accurite temp hygrometers in an empty incubator...incubator says 8 and both hygrometers say 16. The two water trays were filled on saturday night when the incubator was moved from the basement to the living room

Yes... it is very frustrating and stressful

I was told to keep the incubator in a room that is a steady 70 degrees and out of direct sunlight. For me, that's my first floor home office. My basement would be way too cold. So far so good--just pulled two clears out of the incubator yesterday and I have two more that look "questionable" in terms of fertility, but not totally obvious, so I left them. For the time being, I therefore have 39 eggs in the incubator.
Sarah

Our house is never above 68 in the winter.Most of the time the inside temp is 65 to 67.We would go broke paying for propane if we set the thermostat at 70.

This morning our basement was 52.I can see how that is too cold for the incubator. I dont think I would have had any hatch if I had not been covering those incubators with towels and rugs.

Our thermostat gets turned down at night. I recently raised that nighttime setting to 59. For years It was turned down below 50. W

I have mine in my office, which runs 64*-68* this time of year. After almost 20 hours, the one incorporated into the lid says 100*and 40% and the inner, lower one says 97.5* with 44%. I guess I won't stress too much? OK to set eggs?

I have mine in my office, which runs 64*-68* this time of year. After almost 20 hours, the one incorporated into the lid says 100*and 40% and the inner, lower one says 97.5* with 44%.  I guess I won't stress too much?  OK to set eggs?

Shouldn't be that much difference from top to bottom in that incubator. I'm thinking one if not both readings may be inaccurate. If the 97.5 is accurate your going to have a late and a bad hatch. Ideally the 1588 needs to be in a stable room temperature of 70 + degrees.

Shouldn't be that much difference from top to bottom in that incubator. I'm thinking one if not both readings may be inaccurate. If the 97.5 is accurate your going to have a late and a bad hatch. Ideally the 1588 needs to be in a stable room temperature of 70 + degrees.
Well, my house is heated by wood here in NorCal, so there is no stable temp anywhere. This room is the best I can do, so I'll fiddle with it a bit to see.

Well, my house is heated by wood here in NorCal, so there is no stable temp anywhere. This room is the best I can do, so I'll fiddle with it a bit to see.

Is your incubator forced air? Fluctuating house temperatures are much more easily dealt with when one has a forced air incubator.

Back
Top Bottom