Pros and Cons for using sand

Some types of sand may be "natural", but not for chickens. They are jungle fowl, not beach fowl. Natural litters like leaves and stalks would be what they scratched around in to find bugs. You cannot tell me you would find as many worms in straight sand as you would in a litter mix. Adding sand to your compost bin will do nothing to help it other than to make it a bit more loose. After that, nothing. It will not break down as a carbon or nutrient source. Sand does not hold heat, either, especially on a wood floor. It is just not good for cold climates, period.
I'm not trying to persuade anyone to use sand who does not wish to use it, but I do want to make sure that that the facts are known about sand- inaccurate information and specious arguments against the use of sand for the sake of argument serve no one well when trying to care for chickens. Modern day pet chickens are not jungle fowl and that argument is completely invalid when discussing backyard chickens.

Nobody advocates using beach sand, nobody claims sand lends a carbon or nitrogen source to compost and the primary purpose of chicken litter is NOT pasturing (foraging for bugs, etc). The primary purpose of chicken coop litter is to keep the flock's living conditions dry. I have been using sand in my New England chicken coops (wood floors, no less) for years and it is IDEAL in cold climates for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it keeps chicken coops cleaner and drier than any other litter type. Chicken coop litter is not a blanket that the birds pull up over themselves to keep warm- that's what their feathers are for and they can best achieve that with a dry coop. The fact is: sand retains warmth better than any other bedding and given its high thermal mass, keeps coop temperatures more stable than other litter choices. Sand is an outstanding choice in the winter because it evaporates moisture more rapidly than other litter and stays drier, reducing the risk of frostbite.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to use sand who does not wish to use it, but I do want to make sure that that the facts are known about sand- inaccurate information and specious arguments against the use of sand for the sake of argument serve no one well when trying to care for chickens. Modern day pet chickens are not jungle fowl and that argument is completely invalid when discussing backyard chickens.

Nobody advocates using beach sand, nobody claims sand lends a carbon or nitrogen source to compost and the primary purpose of chicken litter is NOT pasturing (foraging for bugs, etc). The primary purpose of chicken coop litter is to keep the flock's living conditions dry. I have been using sand in my New England chicken coops (wood floors, no less) for years and it is IDEAL in cold climates for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it keeps chicken coops cleaner and drier than any other litter type. Chicken coop litter is not a blanket that the birds pull up over themselves to keep warm- that's what their feathers are for and they can best achieve that with a dry coop. The fact is: sand retains warmth better than any other bedding and given its high thermal mass, keeps coop temperatures more stable than other litter choices. Sand is an outstanding choice in the winter because it evaporates moisture more rapidly than other litter and stays drier, reducing the risk of frostbite.
When I said they are jungle birds, it is like saying horses are native to land with grass on it. Just like a horse eats grass obviously, chickens eat bugs. Sounds like a pretty good argument to me. Even if they are not living in their coop they still like to scratch around in it. If you are like a lot of people, you use the soiled bedding in the run to create a deep litter. You use it for compost. If one were to use entirely sand in the coop and run, how are they making any kind of natural, bug attracting, decomposing ecosystem for the chickens? If you do not free range and use sand everywhere, and a lot do this, how are you having healthy chickens? It is not natural.

I have been using what is called Arena Sand. It's a mix of course and fine sands and is working perfectly. I for one believe that if you smell ammonia in your coop or run you simply need to clean the darn thing. Ammonia smell in the coop also means you need more ventilation to help dry things out. Now if I could only find a huge kitty litter scoop. I tried modifying a big rake but it takes too much sand with each pass. But since I can't find a better method I simply use a snow shovel and dig out the top couple of inches and sift it through a large screen I made with construction cloth and then throw the clean sifted sand back in. It takes me only about thirty minutes once a week to clean my 64sqft coop and 192sqft run. And I have a huge pile of poopy sand to use in the garden next spring.

Quote:
Even the granular form contains some dust and it is not safe to breath. I was only pointing out that the comment "and safe to breath" should not have been made. Other than that, great info.

I used sand before and the girls would dust in it but several ate it and within a couple of days died I was told it had glass in the making of the sand and this could cut their insides so I removed it.

Back
Top Bottom