Pro's and Con's of a rooster?

I recently got a banty rooster to put with my standard Buff Orpington girls. He is just great...His crow is quite quiet (unless he is right out on our patio) but he doesn't bother them too much..he has a hard time reaching..lol. They really took to him and now I have a happy flock of 8. At first my dominent girl would challenge him, but I think they got it worked out...Now I couldn't imagine my flock without him...He starts crowing every morning around 6, but really gets going when he sees my husband go to his car....???

He does it a little throughout the day..I like the sound so it doesn't bother me...
I have had him for a little over a month now and my neighbors didn't kow I even had a roo!!! They are about 200 feet from my house... I guess all roos are different, but I really enjoy having my little Jack around!!

I have a 13 wk old silkie roo he is very quiet! but, he will talk to me I will throw him kisses and he throws them back!!!

I did just order 2 austrolorps 1 being a roo!

I wanted a roo I got an autrolorp because I heard they were really nice roos!!!
I didn't want a nasty one so I hope this works out!

my banties will be separate from regular so he will have 8 hens

Okay, yeah, my neighbor is about 200 feet away. I don't think I would mind it. I mean we have bulls that live next to us... they sound like moose calling at all hours of the night and day! But any how... I wouldn't want to upset the neighbor, he's a nice ole guy. We live on Quiet Place. Seriously.
hmm.png

I had read..not sure if it was on here or not, but that a standard sized rooster you can hear for up to a mile away!!!! That is pretty loud!! I don't know from experience, but that is just what I had read. Jack is nowhere near being that loud!! When he starts, it is so cute!! He will get up on my patio chairs, like he is the king, and let it out!! Honestly I only hear him about 5 times a day...the only exception to that is in themorning whenmy hubby leaves for work...I have no idea why he does it that many times when he sees my hubby.
When I was thinking of getting a roo, the #1 thing I was worried about was the girls.... I didn't want the harped on 24/7. He tries sometimes, but is never very succesfull...he jumps and hits about where their wings are. I do have a couple that are starting to squat down when they are approached....I am not sure what that means....but they only do it when I walk next to them or pt my hands down to pick them up. They all free range together out in my yard....it is a pretty relaxing day for all of them. One of my girls does bully him a little...she will belly bump him if he gets too close to her...

I wanted to add....maybe youc ould just go over and talk to him and see how he would feel about that. Personally, my neighbors weren't an issue, but if you are worried that he may not like it, just go over and talk to him about ....he will know that you respect his feelings and I bet it will go well!!

Last edited:
My RIR roos is a big ole mean guy.. hes rough to handle.. I love him though cause he soooo loud... I tried letting him roam with the girls but couldnt cause everytime you turned your back here he come full force so I have to keep him in a cage of his own.. It takes every ounce of strength and energy I have when I need to put him another cage.. he plumb wears me out.. I would never get rid of him even though hes mean mean mean!! He a very fertile guy too.. great hatches from him..
smile.png

I wouldn't want a rooster that would make a lot of ruckus. I really don't want fertile eggs either.

Then you don't want a rooster!
I love my rooster's ruckus. This morning in the chicken house before I let them out he was in there making so much noise I thought something was in there trying to kill him!!! My girls love him. I can tell they feel safer with him because when he sees something that he doesn't like he sounds his warning call and they all run to him and hide behind him. I got him for flock protection and chicks. That's what they're for. If you have a rooster in with the hens probably all of your eggs will be fertile. Roos are mating machines!!
D.gif

Quote:
Wow... My big ole RIR is quite docile, not rough on the hens, and you couldn't make him mad enough to attack a human.
My buff orpington is the same way.

My barred rock is good with them too.

I've got 10 hens for the 3 roosters (I'm getting 3 more from speakledhen tomorrow
smile.png
) and the hens have no bald spots or sores, sometimes they lose a feather or two on their back close to their tail, but they really aren't roughed up at all.

I don't have a clue as to why my roo's don't seem to be as rough as everyone elses.

They aren't scared of anything when it comes to protecting the girls.
My barred rock put my SIL's black lab in the doggie hospital a couple of months ago for getting into the run.

idunno.gif

Well sure... I don't 'need' a rooster. But do you think the girls would be happier with a rooster? Do you think they get a little lonely at night?
lol.png
I let them free range so the protection thing is good. I sure wouldn't want a meanie that would attack my dog or cats- no kids though, yes I'm a childless chicken momma too. Well, maybe I will get one if a good opportunity comes by.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom