Pros and cons of coop going under coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hd_darcy, Jul 3, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I think the subject was my whole question. I THINK we are going to have the run go under the coop as well. What are the pros and cons to this?? Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Depends on what your set-up actually looks like, the size of your coop and run, and whether it is a walk-in or not. I'll assume it is a little coop you will not walk into.

It needs to be high enough the chickens and you can get to any area under it. If you make it hard to get to, they will lay under there, a chicken will be hurt and you have to get it, or something else will happen where you have to get in there. Make it so you can get in there without crawling in the chicken poop, unless you enjoy doing that, of course.

It can provide shade, a dry place to put a feeder, and a convenient place to hang a water bucket if you have that type of waterer. If you have a snowy climate, it may give them a snow free place to go to get out of the coop.

If space is tight it adds to your run space.

If you have little bitty chicks, they probably need a ramp to get to the coop portion.

Depending on how high it is, you might need a ramp or a perch to help them get up to it. Whatever you have, they will probably fly down.

Depending on a few factors, it may be a litle harder to keep a raised coop warm enough for them in a truly cold winter.

About all I can think of. Maybe others can add to the list.

3. Monk

Monk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Pros, Practical use of space, less hiding places for rodents. Dry and protected area.

Con, Could be difficult area to clean, depends on the design of coop and size of area though???

I had both on the ground type coop and an elevated coop. I prefer the elevated coop with the run under it.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have a raised coop with open space underneath, and I don't like it. It's hard to clean under there. I won't be doing that again.

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have only been in the coop for a week but so far so good. They like being under the coop, possibly because the food and water is there. We wanted small suburban so it works for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by