Pros and cons of duck eggs

duckluv

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Ohio
My sister says that duck eggs are the most disgusting thing in the world, even though she's never had them. Most of my family won't dare try them, but I love them. So I want to know: What are the good and bad things about duck eggs? Thanks for reading!

I like them better for baking, if I'm making a recipe that calls for 6 chicken eggs 2 or 3 duck eggs fit the bill just fine. I also think they make great scrambled eggs. Cons,, well one egg is a lot more than one chicken egg so you have to figure out how to make the equivalent amounts.

They are great for baking, great for hatching baby ducks
lol.png
and great for scrambling. I dunno what's not good about them. Maybe the consistency is a bit different from chicken eggs but....they're still great IMO.

Hi! I think some people have 'pre-conceived' ideas about duck eggs.
My husband did. When I cooked duck eggs, he'd claim they tasted 'funny / off'. I started swapping duck eggs for chicken eggs randomly (without mentioning 'duck eggs') and they didn't taste 'off' anymore.
If he notices or I mention that I'm using duck eggs, he'll still say they taste different --- but otherwise, they're just eggs.

smile.png

Lisa

I love my duck eggs. I love them in baking stuff and deviled eggs, I like them hard boiled and scrambled and they make the best omelette's and French toast.... I just dont like them fried, like over easy and stuff. The yolk is too thick for me like that.

I don't even buy chicken eggs anymore. I replaced them without saying anything and no one ever complained, so it's been a long time since I've had anything but duck eggs in my house.

It's purely psychological on the part of the duck egg haters.

My sister is the same way. I fed her all kinds of duck eggs last winter/spring/early summer while I was getting duck eggs. She had them scrambled, fried, deviled, in egg salad, hard boiled, and in all kinds of cooked dishes like quiche and chiffon cake.

Had I told her she was eating duck eggs, she would have had a hissy fit.

Not knowing, she didn't have a clue.

In a blind taste test, I doubt that one person in 20 could tell the difference between a fresh duck egg and a fresh chicken egg. Now, between a fresh duck egg and a stale, grocery store chicken egg, of course the duck egg will have a more pronounced flavor, not because it's a duck egg, but because it's fresh, and probably also because the duck, if it came from a backyard flock, probably had a better and more diverse diet than a battery hen from some Iowa commercial egg operation with half a million hens.

I like duck eggs, but discovered they don't agree with me. They don't make me really sick, but I always have a very 'full', slightly nauseous feeling after eating them. It's fine if I use them in a recipe, but to eat them straight, well, I don't do that anymore.
Since I really enjoy my ducks, I either use the eggs in recipes, sell them, or gift them to my neighbors.
smile.png

Last edited:
LOVE my duck eggs! Almost anyway you can think of other than fried...unless fried to a rather hard yolk for an egg sandwhich...my grown children eat them...they were raised to eat whatever...no picky pantsing around...I do have some persons I know who sort of gag when you mention eating duck eggs...go figger...an egg is an egg is an egg...my vet cracks me up as he can perform all sorts of yucky procedures on all manner of animal but off him a duck egg and he turns into lime jello...I don't get it...does he think he will start quaking or diving into ponds at random or what, if he eats duck eggs...my DOL pickles them and some of the goose eggs...totally delicious...

Pros: they make the BEST brownies
big_smile.png
Trust me, extensive taste testing has been done in this area.

Cons: Like others, I find them a little rich for eating straight.

I'll use them for baking or french toast, but for scrambling or egg sammichs, just a little too rich. Although, I have mixed duck and chicken eggs scrambled and liked it.

But really, why would one waste duck eggs on egg sammichs or scrambled eggs, when they could be used in brownies?

Back
Top Bottom