Pros and Cons of having a mixed flock?

I personally prefer a mix of breeds flock! There is more variety of genetics making them more hardy over the longevity of the flock, especially if you are planning on a closed flock. For me I want a cold hardy flock, that range well, are docile to humans, that will brood, are colorful themselves and give colorful eggs. There is not one breed that consistently does all the things- so a mixed flock is best for me.

I also like Meyer Hatchery, my birds have come from there, never had any problems and their breeds are close to what the standard is supposed to be. You could always go in on an order with someone local if you want chicks sooner.

I agree with Ridgerunner it is more about being raised together than color in my flock about who is friends with who, and who is where in the pecking order.

To me the pros and cons totally depend on your goals. Why do you want chickens? Your goals will tell you that it really doesn’t matter or it’s important to you.

Breed is a manmade thing. Chickens don’t see each other as belonging to a breed, they just see chickens. From what I’ve seen it’s not the color that causes chickens to hang together as much as either them being raised together (those often form lifelong bonds) or similar personalities. Some chickens are bolder or more curious than others, some more sedate and laid back. Certain breeds do have behavioral tendencies and we tend to get chicks of one breed and raise them as a group, so yes you will often see birds of the same color hanging together, but I’ve seen some sub-groups in the flock that don’t look at all like each other.

I don’t know where you are getting your chicks, but the breeds you mentioned all come in varying colors and patterns, though your choice of Sussex may be pretty limited since you are in the USA. Many hatcheries charge extra the more you mix different breeds or colors of the same breed. If I could do it without the costs getting outrageous my personal preference would be to get a different color/pattern for each chicken. But that’s just my personal opinion. My flock is a barnyard mix, I don’t have any pure breeds in them now. A few kind if look like each other but a lot don’t. I’ve never seen that as a problem.

These breed selectors might help but I agree with ES4L, while breeds may have tendencies, each chicken is an individual with its own personality. For tendencies to mean anything you have to have enough for that number to be statistically relevant. Three of a breed is not enough for it to mean much. But the tendencies give you a guideline. I don’t know of anything better for you to use.

Breed Selectors
http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chick_selector.html
I've seen it often enough in my flock, and others have mentioned seeing the same thing in their flocks, that birds of similar coloring will hang out together, both when going to perch at night, as well as when out on the range. I don't consider it to be coincidence. Also, some roos prefer hens of a certain color. My roo really doesn't care for barred hens. And this preference is seen in my flock with birds that were hatched/brooded together. Some broody hens will reject chicks that are a different color. So, while it is not a deal breaker in what breed of chicks to choose, I simply choose to keep that in mind if ordering chicks.

Back
Top Bottom