Pros and cons of keeping Turkeys vs Pheasants

My chickens and cows have over grazed part of our field, especially because we live in a very wet area so once the grass is done it's turned to mud and has to dry out before more grass grows. So we have a half acre of mud right now. I have let them move to the front yard though till I plant my garden next summer and it gives the cows more to eat.

My ducks have tons of grubs and slugs they dig out. I am sure they aren't helping with the mud but the chickens seem to eat mostly grass.

This year I was way behind on weeding. My turkeys are the only ones who would eat the weeds and seeds. They ate leaves off of all my plants they could reach, some grass and since the high winds have knocked down the acorns they have cleaned those up. They ate all the green beans and squash they could reach and gobbled down berries my chickens never touched. We had a huge garden this year so I didn't mind them eating what they could reach. All summer I watched them eat things my other animals wouldn't touch till the turkeys showed them. I would think you have enough room from what I've seen of mine.

We are planning to do the same with our trio. My turkeys are so fun to watch. Everyday I watch them and chuckle. Scientists say birds are the descendants of dinosaurs and I see it in my turkeys.

Since my geese are going to be sold for Christmas dinner the land will rest slightly. Ducks are going as well except for trio of muscovies.

Since my geese are going to be sold for Christmas dinner the land will rest slightly. Ducks are going as well except for trio of muscovies.
Will you be eating geese? How do geese taste? I can only remember eating duck as a kid and I remember it being oily. Are geese similar? If you choose turkeys I know you will have fun with them. Whatever you choose enjoy your new birds.

I've eaten normal ducks, muscovies, turkeys but never geese.
I've been told they taste similar to ducks but more sweet. There will definitely be difference in taste because ducks mostly eat insects and slugs and geese are pure vegetarians - grass eaters. They do get flat but that's good when you roast them. It all melts down and keeps meat moiat and juicy, no drying as it could happen with turkey or chicken.
Muscovies are very different - little fat and taste more like veal than duck. Excellent meat. They also have a lot of breast and leg meat just like turkey or broiler chicken. And they are the best insect eaters and they at quiet lol
I had a pair of turkeys before but they weren't mating and none of the eggs hatched so I sold them. Then I bought four Norfolk black poults but when they started flying and sleeping on top of the fence I was afraid the fox might eat them at night so I sold them. I should have kept them... I couldn't clip their wings because they still have blood in their flight feathers.
I know pheasants will never be as tame...
My wife wants turkeys too lol
I might get a pair after christmas - too expensive now.

I've eaten normal ducks, muscovies, turkeys but never geese.
I've been told they taste similar to ducks but more sweet. There will definitely be difference in taste because ducks mostly eat insects and slugs and geese are pure vegetarians - grass eaters. They do get flat but that's good when you roast them. It all melts down and keeps meat moiat and juicy, no drying as it could happen with turkey or chicken.
Muscovies are very different - little fat and taste more like veal than duck. Excellent meat. They also have a lot of breast and leg meat just like turkey or broiler chicken. And they are the best insect eaters and they at quiet lol
I had a pair of turkeys before but they weren't mating and none of the eggs hatched so I sold them. Then I bought four Norfolk black poults but when they started flying and sleeping on top of the fence I was afraid the fox might eat them at night so I sold them. I should have kept them... I couldn't clip their wings because they still have blood in their flight feathers.
I know pheasants will never be as tame...
My wife wants turkeys too lol
I might get a pair after christmas - too expensive now.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I didn't know all ducks don't taste the same. I know we will be eating a duck or two. I have heard duck jerky is great so I am heading toward that if we don't like them. I might get a couple Muscovy to try.
Turkey is may favorite meat. Our roosters we processed were beyond words delicious so I am excited for our Thanksgiving meal this year. My kids really wanted a goose to raise last spring but I had enough to learn with the turkeys so we might try a goose next spring.

My turkeys took longer to train but all my animals come running when I walk out my door because they know they get fed twice a day from me. Morning and night. Even if they free range enough food I still give them some for so they come running when they see my red pitcher and call. That is how I got the turkeys into their coop yard and coop.

We were out at a lake cabin and saw wild turkeys. I watched them jump into a tree and climb higher and higher. Each one wanting to claim the highest roost to be the king of the tree. It gave me a great understanding for their mind at night. They roost high for predators but also to say "hey, I'm the top dog". I think that is a part of the wild that hangs with them. The higher the better.
In this house the wife is right even if it takes a long time to get to that point. My hubby has left a lot of the animal choices to me and we have both been pleased with most of them. Lol. The holidays are an expensive time to buy most things.

Next week I'm starting a new job as farm manager on a free range turkey geese and chicken farm. Maybe I'll get some from there lol
People in UK are obsessed with the bronze turkeys. I personally don't like their look. Black ones are alright.i like bourbon red, slate and white.
And you are right the organic free range turkeys cost ridiculous money. Last ear i saw organic geese for £11 per kg! That's about £50 per goose! Farmers are getting £60-70 per fat lambs at the moment...
Also muscovies are actually different species of ducks. They are very different than all other domestic ducks.

Last edited:
One question: turkeys obviously eat grass, weeds etc but do you think trio of muscovies some chickens and a pair of turkeys would overgraze 1/3 acre paddock over winter? Geese will eat all the grass. Ducks will make into mud...

Back
Top Bottom