Pros and Cons of scratch block

I buy flock blocks maybe once a year, mainly for use during extended periods of bad weather. I've had to lock my birds in the coop during flooding, and if there's a lot of snow they don't want to come out either, so at those times flock blocks are a convenient way to keep them busy while under confinement, to make up for the temporary lack of space and foraging opportunity.

I buy flock blocks maybe once a year, mainly for use during extended periods of bad weather. I've had to lock my birds in the coop during flooding, and if there's a lot of snow they don't want to come out either, so at those times flock blocks are a convenient way to keep them busy while under confinement, to make up for the temporary lack of space and foraging opportunity.
Fully reasonable, if you know what you're dealing with.

I do the same. I currently don't have any chickens as I reduced my flock and only have ducks. But when I had my last chickens, I only gave a flock block in winter when we had inches of snow for several weeks. They were not happy about the weather so I tried to make them a little less annoyed by giving them a flock block as a treat. It lasted for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom