Pro's and con's on using sawdust in nesting box?????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by martinjj, Apr 9, 2010.

1. martinjj

martinjj In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Lakeland Florida
    Hi all! I was wondering about using sawdust in my nesting boxes instead of pine shaving or straw? Yes I have a good supply of saw dust I run a nick-nack wood shop in my garage( more of a hobby than anything![​IMG]) Would it also be be good for under the roost? I would like to just be able to scrape it all into the compost tumbler, sawdust would breakdown alot faster! What do you all think??
    Thanks all,
    Martin

2. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    should be no problem nicer than straw for sure and the price is right

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    JMHO that they may eat the saw dust and I'm not sure that would be good for the. Seems to me that it would be a lot of dust.

4. martinjj

martinjj In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Lakeland Florida
    Could sawdust harm them if the eat it?
    Thanks,
    Martin

5. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Depending on what the wood was that the sawdust comes from, sure it could be harmful. Pressure treated wood, for example. I wouldn't do it, myself.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I know that Cedar is bad for them. It couldn't be good on them eating saw dust. Yes, they will eat some..... maybe not a lot. But, I wouldn't chance it myself.

7. martinjj

martinjj In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Lakeland Florida
    I was just wondering all your thoughts on it, I am always looking for a way to save money around the house!! all my dust comes from cherry, maple, oak, elm, pine etc.. Thanks for the input;)
    Martin:yiipchick

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The only shavings I will use is Pine. I just never recommend anything that I have never tried myself.

9. I use shavings.
    I think sawdust will stick to the fresh bloom on the eggs and dry on the shell.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  10. TinaK

TinaK Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    i only use pine shavings... and only dust free.

the stuff that you would get from using wood working tools would be too fine for my liking. But that is just my personal opinion.

The stuff I use is a very coarse shaving and probably less likely to be consumed......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: