Pro's and con's on using sawdust in nesting box?????

martinjj

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Lakeland Florida
Hi all! I was wondering about using sawdust in my nesting boxes instead of pine shaving or straw? Yes I have a good supply of saw dust I run a nick-nack wood shop in my garage( more of a hobby than anything!
big_smile.png
) Would it also be be good for under the roost? I would like to just be able to scrape it all into the compost tumbler, sawdust would breakdown alot faster! What do you all think??
Thanks all,
Martin

Depending on what the wood was that the sawdust comes from, sure it could be harmful. Pressure treated wood, for example. I wouldn't do it, myself.

I know that Cedar is bad for them. It couldn't be good on them eating saw dust. Yes, they will eat some..... maybe not a lot. But, I wouldn't chance it myself.

I was just wondering all your thoughts on it, I am always looking for a way to save money around the house!! all my dust comes from cherry, maple, oak, elm, pine etc.. Thanks for the input;)
Martin:yiipchick

i only use pine shavings... and only dust free.

the stuff that you would get from using wood working tools would be too fine for my liking. But that is just my personal opinion.

The stuff I use is a very coarse shaving and probably less likely to be consumed......

Back
Top Bottom