pross/cons of chickens?

We can't tell you exactly how much they cost because we all raise them differently. However, there are many ways to cut costs! I live in a hot humid area so pine shavings are not good for me. I changed my bedding to sand that doesn't hold moisture and as a added bonus doesn't require replacing. Sure, they kick a little out of the coop every now and then and some gets stuck to the poop when scooping with a kitty litter scoop, but I add a little more every 6 months. A 50# sack of sand is $2.50 and I have 400# in my coop (would be cheaper if I could find it by the truck load). Some people use poop boards under their roosts to reduce litter waste. I was paying $16-$20 for a 50# sack of feed at TSC and they went threw a lot at first, but I found a way around that too. I found a little feed mill that I passed every day and never knew what it was. My feed now costs me $9 for a 50# at the feed mill and I free range. I go threw a 50# sack of feed every 4 months threw spring, summer, and fall. Winter is usually one sack every month because bugs and grass are scarce. This winter I am going threw 2 bags a month because we had a freeze for the first time in forever. I have 20 (bantam) chickens. I buy on average 1 can of sevin every 3 months as a preventive measure because a hen that is not mine jumps my fence to lay in my coop. She also gets treated because she doesn't belong to anyone around here. A sick chicken will cost you more then the entire flock will! I built my own coop and use a galvanized hog waterer (had it laying around) as a brooder so costs were low there as well. The only cons I have so far have to do with freezing weather. We are not used to a freeze here and it can be a pain not being prepared for it and having to compensate for it. It was 70 and raining the other week and that night it started snowing. Had to add a heat lamp because my girls like usual were playing in the rain all day and soaked to the bone. I dislike being cold and trying to clean the coop. I also had to figure out how to keep the water from freezing (Thank you northerners for the help with that!). If you are well prepared, keep the coop clean, the chickens healthy, and think outside the box then chickens can be really cheap to own. To me they are really great pets that just happen to supply me with eggs as well.

By now I suspect you've gotten more opinions and ideas than facts. Mostly because the facts vary with the opinions.

The way I see it?

How much can you afford each month?
How much do you know about chickens all together?
What are your reasons for wanting chickens?
Where are you from.

Most folks don't put where they're from with their avatar and it can be a bother.

1. Where will you buy your feed ? Some have mills to buy from and they can be cheaper. Me it's about $14 a 50# bag.

Ones location makes a big difference. Case in point. I'm in NY and it's cold and I just filled 7 gallon milk jugs with water that I lug out each morning, break the ice off the water tubs and fill them up. Too when it's cold they eat more. I suspect in the warmer or mostly warmer climes chickens can free range and eat less feed. I need hay to keep their feet from freezing since they do go out. And there are shavings to buy to keep them clean and dry.

2. The production birds TSC is selling are "terminal" birds. Two years and their done or almost done. They're more likely to get sick. Purebreds lay the same number of eggs but over a longer period of time. If you want pets you'll want chickens like my Frenchy who is nearing 6 yrs. She a Bantam frizzle. She doesn't lay anymore but I love her.

3. If you want chickens to make money, I doubt that will happen unless you know you've got a market for them. You might break even on feed, but the labor will be free. Too there are materials such as shavings, dust for mites and other stuff.

My advice is build for 25 and if 6 is all you want you'll have room. Build for 6 and if you want 25 you'll be in a bind. I figure 25 and now I'm up to 50+ and losing sleep at night. I've got more eggs than I can sell. 2 doz a day even in this frigid weather.

Lots of eggs. I do donate to friends with kids and low incomes and to seniors.

This is my Frenchy. She's the only one left of my original 25.

And this is me.
th

this is the wife.

this is the baby.

th

There are very little cons about having chickens. The pros outweigh the cons of course. I have had chickens for 4 years and so far they are great. They are very easy to take care of and are not very much money to keep.

The biggest thing I can think of about having chickens is you never have enough room. Sure, you might have a wonderful coop and a spacious run for them but suddenly one will become hurt and where do you put it?

This is definitely a con, because realizing 10 minutes before you have to leave for work that a chicken needs some solo healing time is NOT the time to scrounge up a "sickbay" pen. I also quickly realized that one of the cons for me was who on earth was going to take care of my birds when I had to go away for a week? My spouse and I cannot go anywhere together for more than a day because we know of no one else who could care for the birds! I will never have more than 6 hens because I cannot take care of any more than that and I cannot deal with more than a few injured birds at a time. But since I know my limits and have a couple years of experience now, I can say that the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I spend about $10/month on feed, bedding, and supplements. And of course a little more is spent if there are emergencies/injuries. Not having to buy eggs at the store is a nice payback.

Chickens are actually cheaper to care for than most dogs. A cheap 50lb bag of chicken food where I'm at is about $14, compared to a cheap 20lb bag of dog food for about $10. The chickens do eat a lot at first, but it will even out as they mature. I have a hungry flock of 16 big girls, and 1 50lb bag will last them approximately 2 weeks. One thing you also have to consider is that the hens will lay eggs, so it will save you money on buying eggs from the store.

Overall, I don't regret getting chickens. Yes, they poop and the poop doesn't smell like roses, but with their personalities, fresh eggs, pest control, and great memories, I can deal with the poop.:cd

Well said

A 50# bag of grower crumble will last me about 2.5 months for my 5 girls, fed out as fermented feed.  I also give them a bit of scratch, and sprout some seeds for them (BOSS, lentils, wheat and barley).  this is in the winter when they don't have access to bugs and fresh greens.  Their summer feed needs are much less.  Don't expect that their eggs will be cheaper than store bought eggs.  But, what they will give you is a much more nutritious egg with better flavor and much less cholesterol.  Look up some of the studies done on egg nutrition.  That alone should convince a lot of people to keep a back yard flock.  Then, take a look at current large scale poultry raising practices.  That SHOULD convince a lot more people to keep a back yard flock.  Now, add the value of insect control, weed control, free tilling for your garden, free fertilizer, and a never ending source of entertainment... and I honestly can't understand how anyone other than the apartment dweller can get by without a small back yard flock.
whoa whoa whoa!!! Hold the phone!! You can sprout BOSS as fodder?!? Can I use the bird seed kind or does it have to be a certain type?

Pros: You get to experience the pride of owning such an interesting, loving creature made by God's hand. They provide eggs,meat, and a source of entertainment. They also have very nitrogen-enriched droppings which can be spread on gardens.
Cons: They are sometimes loud,smelly,and unruly so you do have to have a bit of patience when raising poultry!
Hope this helps make your mind up!!!
yippiechickie.gif

God so loved the world, he gave us chickens !

I've got 5 hens and love taking care of them. They are incredibly entertaining to watch and the eggs are completely different to what you would buy at the shops. The only cons I can't think of is the amount of poop they produce, but I try and stay on top of this daily using a poop scoop and either putting it in the bin or a compost bin (but this filled up very quickly). The only other con is the damage to my garden particularly the borders. This is however due to my buff sussex who have bare legs. My faverolles have feathered feet and are no where near as destructive. Hope that helps!

Subhanalah: Re: BOSS: I expect that you could sprout it as fodder, but I prefer to not take my grains/BOSS to the fodder stage. I mix the seeds up and soak over night in a 1 qt. canning jar. I then drain them, and rinse twice/day, they are ready to feed some where between day 3 and 6 depending on the temperature. Don't put more than 1/2 cup of seeds in the jar, because the initial swelling and the growth will amaze you! Yes, the BOSS that I use is just plain old bird seed. You can use a canning ring with a circle of plastic needle point canvas, or a piece of window screen, or some cheese cloth over the top for an easy rinse and drain solution. After they are drained, you'll want to put the mouth of the jar down so they can drain until the next rinsing. For a single jar, a cereal bowl works well. I often keep several jars going, and use a little tray designed to go under a window box. (I like to keep some sprouts going for my salads as well)

Back
Top Bottom