Protecting ducks from wildfire smoke

BornToQuack

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Hi all,

For the past few days, my city (Portland, Oregon) has been covered in a haze due to nearby forest fires. The air quality continues to deteriorate and people are being encouraged to stay indoors as much as possible. Of course, this made me wonder about pets who can't come inside (aka our three Runner Ducks). We don't have a garage or pen we could set up indoors for them. Short of putting a HEPA filter in their coop, is there anything I can do to minimize the smoke damage to their lungs?

That's a tough one because their so sensitive to fumes etc anyway. If I only had 3 Runner ducks I believe I would have to figure out a way to have them inside
and only outside for short periods. Not trying to put pressure on you at all just saying there can be ways very large dog kennel or X pen with tarp over floor Huge patio box with out lid closed of course. lol Now having 14 water fowl and 26 chickens it would be pretty hard for me. :hmm

Miss Lydia, I completely agree with you! It's my husband who refuses to bring them inside. I've suggested we set them up in one of our bathrooms, or put our large x pen in the basement (with a tarp on the floor as you suggested), but he's being super stubborn.
I even showed him articles from avian vets and the Audubon society regarding the effects of smoke on birds. Then I pointed out that we haven't had any song birds at our feeders for at least two days now, and the wild ravens we've befriended have also been MIA. If our ducks were wild and a breed capable of flight, they probably would have flown off with the other birds days ago. His response, "until we have ash falling from the sky like last year, they're staying outside."
Honestly don't understand why he's being so harsh, considering he's an animal lover and loves to spoil our ducks with special treats. This man will go out if his way just to pick up crickets and feeder fish to give them some enrichment.

Anyways, we're supposed to get some wind this afternoon and things should start to clear up soon. If they don't improve by the end of today/the wild birds still aren't back, I'm putting my foot down and bringing the ducks in until the air advisory is over.

Last edited:
You sound like us!

At temperatures over 80 degrees, my boyfriend always wants to bring the 9 chickens and 2 rabbits inside the house and turn on the A/C. (we have a SMALL 1 bedroom house)

I compromised with an extensive mister system, a pond, a box fan, and a covered porch/patio.

It's not like we're in Arizona -- we're in the Cascades of Oregon!!!

To be fair, last September, when the state was on fire and the smoke was awful, I was worried too, and almost relented.

Let's hope the temperatures drop a bit, and we can get the fires under control before the next round start up.

That's a tough one because their so sensitive to fumes etc anyway. If I only had 3 Runner ducks I believe I would have to figure out a way to have them inside
and only outside for short periods. Not trying to put pressure on you at all just saying there can be ways very large dog kennel or X pen with tarp over floor Huge patio box with out lid closed of course. lol Now having 14 water fowl and 26 chickens it would be pretty hard for me. :hmm

Back in the bathtub my three would be.

Back
Top Bottom