Protecting the flock from excessive heat

6forus

Hatching
Jul 18, 2020
We live in a desert environment, so summers can be brutal! I have their enclosure, with a coop inside, covered partially with a cotton blanket that I soak regularly to keep the temperature down. It dries very quickly. I also provide clean water trays for them to stand in. I still see some panting with the Orpingtons, in particular. Today I’m trying a portable misting system near them to keep the temperatures down. Anyone else have any suggestions? All seem healthy so far. They are 4 months old now. 1 rooster, 5 hens.

I put a big block of ice in their water, provide enough shade for everyone to be out of the sun, and I have a mister on the youngsters and they’re fine in the 110 degree heatwave we just had

We live in a desert environment,
Misters might work for you.

My birds are confined with no great deep shade for last half of the day so I have to be vigilant during heat waves. I do have shade cloths up on run, which helps, but still not deep shade.

To help cool down the coop I have a box fan in the east window of coop, where it's shady most the day, and turn it on late afternoon...blows cooler air into coop and pushes hot air out.

To determine heat stress levels I go by activity level, if panting and wing holding seems extreme, I throw out a few treats to see if everyone is moving well.

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom