Protecting Young Child from Histoplasmosis ect?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shiningeyes, Jul 7, 2016.

1. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you would offer advice on how to protect a young child from Histoplasmosis (or other dust born diseases) in a dusty environment.

I have a 3.5 year old and 4 chickens and 2 ducks. Coop is elevated with shavings-she does not go in there. However, the run is bare dirt and the yard especially during the summer is quite a bit of dirt. The ducks run is pretty much hard packed so not much dust there-but the chickens scratch in it so it's really dusty. Also the dirt in the yard is really loose so makes a lot of dust. My daughter loves dirt and always comes in with a face covered with it and not surprisingly dirt in her nose. I hadn't thought much about it until I started letting the chickens and ducks roam out there. I usually wear a mask when cleaning-except when just doing a quick pick up in the run and I don't let her near the coops or runs while I am cleaning and stirring up dust. But the rest of the area-well she's a kid. An outdoorsy kid. So she plays and digs and does kid things.

She loves going in the run with the chickens-which I now have stopped letting her do. But short of not letting her be around the chickens at all since their area is mostly dirt, what can I do? If she can't interact with them it kind of defeats the purpose of us having them. But there is no way she's not going to play in the dirt. I've tried that route and it doesn't work. They also wander through our lawns-both front and back so they can access greens and eat pests (another main reason I got them) and because we have a huge predator problem so being around us (or the dog) is somewhat essential. Is there any risk from this? And also, to get to the back lawn they have to go through her "play area" (swing, slide ect) which is all dirt. So the inevitably gets poop in it.

I know it's not SUPER common in California and I try and clean up as much as possible but she does have some respiratory issues when ill and I'd like to minimize any possibility of her getting sick without over-reacting. I usually subscribe to the dirt is good for them philosophy but after reading some things (like the histoplasmosis thread on here) I'm starting to question if I should be taking more precautions.

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by