Sponsored Post Protecting your chickens from predators in your backyard!

Do you mean the predator alarm? I thought about it but my neighbors would rather something ate all of us rather than have their sleep disturbed by an alarm. Does the light run off predators before the alarm goes off?

Hawks are the main one for me(raccoons, opposums and dogs, though they have never killed one of my chickens).

Closing the coop door at night, lots of natural shelter(pine trees, etc) and watching the chickens frequently are ways to keep my girls safe.

This sound just like mine.
I am always watching the hens.
I have never lost one to predators. Thank the Lord.

Do you mean the predator alarm? I thought about it but my neighbors would rather something ate all of us rather than have their sleep disturbed by an alarm. Does the light run off predators before the alarm goes off?

Jennio11 said

golden sparrow,
Do you use this alarm? Have you experienced the alarm sounding?

No, I have never used it. I was just quoting what Jennio11 said, to answer your question.
I wonder if this sort of thing would work with helping to keep animals out of trash cans?

Hawks have been my most damaging predator, but I have found a way to keep them at bay. I use lightweight aluminum fence wire. It is not hooked up to an electrical source, but I string it across my chickens run. I have 6 different runs that are various sizes. I string it horizontally, like a clothesline about every 4 feet on the big lot and about every 2 feet on the bantam lots. It is not visible enough to be tacky looking, but the hawks stay clear. I've been doing this for 2 years now without a hawk attack. They fly around the farm and look, but they continue on their merry way hunting for mice and other valuable prey. It really makes me happy for my chickens to be safe and for the hawks to be able to do their job as well. Works like a charm!

I would first off like to say thank you to everyone on this board and Jen for the invite to your community to showcase our product. I am very humble for this chance to discuss our product with the family of backyardchickens and I look forward to hearing and discussing any questions, comments or concerns about our product and how we can better protect the chickens, pets and gardens of this community. Thank you.

Joseph Masciovecchio
President
The Predator Preventer LLC.

I purchased a wireless collar for my livestock guardian dog. I installed it with a 12 volt battery and solar panel(the kind you buy to just keep your battery up - 1.5w) on my chicken bus(movable coop) to protect my chickens. I am able to move my chickens around the farm with no other protection(no fence ect...) ; the coop is tight and the dog keeps the hawks and coyotes at bay. The hard part is finding a dog that you can trust. The system is working great. I purchased the WiFi collar(200 feet radius). but I think a radio one would have been more reliable. Less footage(100 feet radius) but with the Wifi I can't set it above 100 feet without a dropout anyway because metal and trees interfere with the signal and the dog can come on home. Radio waves are much more reliable than WiFi, and more affordable. Both systems will work on 12 volt or 120 volts.

Back
Top Bottom