Protective turkey

Ok. I agree with @R2elk.
That's what I was thinking and I watch him I get paranoid I heard turkeys can be mean but from what I've seen she follows him around sits at his feet he'll pet her and cuddle with her and she doesnt like anything but humans near him but I still keep a close eye on him we have goats guineas chickens turkeys ducks cats dogs horses and a cow

That's what I was thinking and I watch him I get paranoid I heard turkeys can be mean but from what I've seen she follows him around sits at his feet he'll pet her and cuddle with her and she doesnt like anything but humans near him but I still keep a close eye on him we have goats guineas chickens turkeys ducks cats dogs horses and a cow
Very interesting.

I have a hen that does something similar with me. Follows me around making the craziest turkeys noises, all the while she is half to full strut. Will kick the crap out of anything that tries to get near me. She is an absolute sweetheart to me but not anyone else lol.

Life is full of risk. That's why it's nerve racking being a parent. If I were a betting woman I'd say your kiddo is at much less of a risk with this protective proxy mama. A one year old needs supervision with or without a turkey around. At least she's keeping other potential risks away from him. I'd Find comfort in that. You're not dealing with an animal who can eat him or one that is notorious for turning on humans (think the magician who got nearly eaten by his exotic cat- whose name is escaping me at the moment). But we all know that little fact of life. So of course you know to watch them. I'd say the fanning out is probably some sort of mix of a protective stance and agitation to any potential threats thinking of approaching the only. A warning like-minded "you'll wish you didn't". You have one hell of a mother's helper on your hands in my opionion. I'm not taking away the fact a turkey can take out an eye or worse- but I won't tell you what you already know. I don't mean to sound condescending to ANYONE. I just think they're imprinted- somehow and I think it's great. I also believe it minimizes his potential risk of getting hurt by a great deal of other variables/ animals.

I just think they're imprinted- somehow and I think it's great. I also believe it minimizes his potential risk of getting hurt by a great deal of other variables/ animals.
Animals that have been imprinted by people are the most dangerous animals there are because they have no fear of people.

Animals that have been imprinted by people are the most dangerous animals there are because they have no fear of people.
I noted and acknowledged that. I just don't think it's as risky as many other imprinted animals like SigFried and Roy’s tiger (that’s the name of the magician I was thinking of even if I’m sure I misspelled it!) but I do acknowledge that a turkey could do some damage to a one year old human. I’m not arguing that at all. I’m just saying if you own birds and have kids that goes unsaid. And everyone agrees a one year old needs supervision with or without turkeys present. That’s all I’m saying. I think the odds are pretty good this animal won’t turn- again- it sure could- but I wouldn’t expect it to (yes, I supposed that’s when they can surprise you - when you least expect it). But that’s all I’m saying. Do you agree that the two somehow imprinted and the turkey is protecting the little one? I’m not being sarcastic or condescending. You are someone who’s advise I respect and have taken myself. And successfully so- so pleaSe don’t misinterpret my tone as snarky. I’m being totally serious asking you that.

Back
Top Bottom