protein from beans

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jeannedeaux, May 20, 2019.

1. jeannedeaux

jeannedeaux Chirping

Jan 22, 2017
    Amherst, Massachusetts
    Hi all,
    My hens are growing new feathers after rooster damage (I think he's just too big for most of the girls; he's really a nice rooster, though a bit too randy this spring). I've put little homemade capes on them but also want to supplement their feed with extra protein as suggested by folks on this site. I sell my eggs as organic and vegetarian, so don't want to go the cat food route. I'm thinking either nuts or beans will do the same and organic beans are cheaper. My question: Do I need to cook beans or lentils before feeding to them? Seems like whole corn to me, but perhaps I'm missing something about how they process food? Thanks for advice--this site is the best!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If using legumes, they must be cooked.
    Chickens are omnivores, so to be natural they really need animal protein.
    Meat, fish, eggs, insects and other bugs are what they need.
    An easy method is to buy crickets online. Depending on how many birds you have. You can get 500 crickets for about $10.
    I use canned mackerel. It is an extremely high quality animal protein and the cheapest canned fish you can get per ounce.
    The reason animal protein is so important is that it has a complete array of amino acids to which no vegetative protein source can compare.

3. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Uncooked beans will kill a chicken, as few as three or four can kill a chicken.

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    The easiest way to increase Protein without animal, insect or non-organic means is to switch to a Organic Starter, Grower, with 18 to 20% Protein.
    It's properly balanced. Just offer Calcium separately (Oyster Shells, Crushed Egg Shells). GC

5. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    jeannedeaux likes this.
  6. Do NOT, and I say NEVER feed chickens raw beans or lentils! It will kill them. Chickens cannot FART so their stomach will explode. They will die. If anything, cook the beans for a very long time, longer than you normally would if you were regularly cooking them well.

Col1948 and jeannedeaux like this.
  7. Perhaps the beans were uncooked and your chickens know they are bad? Uncooked beans will kill chickens. They cannot fart and to them it is toxic.

8. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Nothing is undercooked around here, the wife's side of the family overcooks everything. Trying to get them to try a medium rare stake is like trying to get blood out of a turnip.

9. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    I hate watching them bbq beef, I tell them beef should never crunch, but they don't listen. I have to sneak my food off the grill before they turn it into jerky!

Back to the OP, chickens don't like beans, and I didn't know this but sounds like they aren't a good food for them anyway.

You could also offer them some Organic broiler feed, it's higher in protein and has additional vitamins/minerals to support the fast growth of broiler chicks.

10. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

Split PEAS, cooked tastes better, but can be served raw. I recommend grinding them if serving them raw, and adding a small amount to your balanced organic feed. Although serving peas will reduce the overall protein of their diet, it will improve the lysine and methionine amino acid, which they use to build (rebuild) strong feathers. Raw Beans are taboo because they contain a compound called lectin. Lectins are glycoproteins that are present in a wide variety of commonly-consumed plant foods. Some are not harmful, but the lectins found in undercooked and raw beans are toxic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: