protein from beans

I hate watching them bbq beef, I tell them beef should never crunch, but they don't listen. I have to sneak my food off the grill before they turn it into jerky!

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I just had to respond to this. I always cringe when I hear someone order steak 'well done' (i.e. dry and devoid of taste):hit:rant
I usually order rare and it comes out either medium rare or medium. :barnie
Another thing that kills me is when we grill excellent juicy steak and my wife puts A1 on it. :th I say, "why don't you just eat a hamburger?"

Last edited:
If using legumes, they must be cooked.
Chickens are omnivores, so to be natural they really need animal protein.
Meat, fish, eggs, insects and other bugs are what they need.
An easy method is to buy crickets online. Depending on how many birds you have. You can get 500 crickets for about $10.
I use canned mackerel. It is an extremely high quality animal protein and the cheapest canned fish you can get per ounce.
The reason animal protein is so important is that it has a complete array of amino acids to which no vegetative protein source can compare.
How many crickets should I give 12 hens at a time? Is there a type of cricket that is best? How long do they need this boost in protein to help regrow feathers? Thanks for any further advice!

How many crickets should I give 12 hens at a time? Is there a type of cricket that is best? How long do they need this boost in protein to help regrow feathers? Thanks for any further advice!
They may not regrow feathers till molt. Enough crickets that they all get a couple. But the crickets will be hopping around the bedding and the hens will be frantically running amok trying to catch them.
Or for an essential amino acid boost, you can just give a can of mackerel perhaps once or twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom