Protein in eggs - Dietitian? / diet question?

What about rabbit? I know it is considered a healthy protein. I hear they get to butcher weight pretty fast, and butcher easily. Not sure about the iron content.

quail have a lot of dark meat, and would guess that there is higher iron content, so might not work. Duck and squab might be similar (dark meat/iron). But, the nutritional date easily found, so you could do a comparison.

I agree with the thoughts on egg whites. An additional way to eat them with nuts - there are gluten free cookie recipes that use no flour, but instead it’s a mix of egg whites, nuts, cocoa powder. But cocoa powder contains iron -might not work.

plant based thought. Teff grain. Very tiny, traditionally used to make a fermented batter in some kind of African cooking to make pancake/bread like discs to scoop up the food in bowls. But, I found that to be an acquired taste... however, it is good mixed in with some other grains. But, like with many grains, you have to look at the mineral profile to see the iron content.

Perhaps buckwheat might be better (roasted buckwheat is called “Kasha”), and my family is split on their preference for either Kasha or non-roasted buckwheat. We only eat the grain, we don’t use buckwheat flour.

have you incorporated any nut flours into your cooking? These may be beneficial too. But, higher in fat.

I realize you are working with a dietician/nutritionist, so all this may be old news to you.

glad you are in remission!
Thank you. I’ll need to look at rabbit! I just did a quick glance, and it’s note iron than chicken or fish, but still low. I’ve only eaten rabbit once, years ago in a restaurant- I remember liking it vet much. Something to look into for sure.
I recently replaced my go to winter breakfast (oatmeal) with buckwheat for more protein. Love it. We’re looking at more plant based diet- but we over-corrected. I do most of the cooking- and my wife got severe anemia from my diet, so we’re learning a right balance.
Really appreciate the advice and info!

I guess one of the tough things is to get tasty recipes that make these high protein foods palatable. I make tabouli salad with bulgur and make a black bean and corn salsa with quinoa. But I can’t eat them every day. Best of luck with your dietary dilemma.
Thank you for the advice. I think a good recipe can make almost anything taste good! I’m not looking for perfection on the diet and can accept if I don’t see improvement- but I’m just hoping to get some of my strength back. I feel great and I’m healthy which is what really matters - I just miss being able to throw a 50 lb bag on each shoulder. My wife keeps reminding me that not only was I sick for years, but I’m also older than when I got sick.
Thanks again for the advice- very sweet of you and all to take the time.

Thank you for your response and advice. And you are correct - high protein diets can be tough on the kidneys. They've got me drinking 12-16 cups (about a gallon) of water every day to help flush the kidneys. I get blood / labs worked up every month, as I need to have blood removed (1-2 pts) to remove iron - and get a kidney work up each time.

The macronutrient mix was designed by a dietitian. Elite athletes already have muscle mass, and are eating to maintain muscle and carbs to provide energy. I'm on more of a bodybuilder type diet. I'm just trying to replace protein powder with real food.

But thank you and I really appreciate the advice and concern. I find this community so helpful!
Oh good they are following you closely. Good luck with your recovery and congratulations on your remission.

I guess one of the tough things is to get tasty recipes that make these high protein foods palatable. I make tabouli salad with bulgur and make a black bean and corn salsa with quinoa. But I can’t eat them every day. Best of luck with your dietary dilemma.

Back
Top Bottom