PROTEIN!!!PROTEIN!!!PROTEIN!!! (Please)

I would just put the layer feed out for them to free feed on and then on occasion give them a handful of scratch, just as a treat.

Mary

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
I totally agree with what Steve wrought.
Take for instance;

OATS -
Crude Protein - 12.0% / Actual Digestible Protein 9.4%
Sunflower Seeds -
Crude Protein, with halls - 16.8% / Actual Digestible Protein 13.9%

Chris

While digestibility plays a role in the quality of the protein source we must also consider the Amino Acid profile of the protein source. Unfortunately we continue to inappropriately talk about Protein when we should be talking about Amino Acids, specificaly Lysine, Methionine and Cystine, Threonine, Tryptophan, etc.

Jim​

You're right, of course. But I've found with people who are just beginning to learn the bare bones of the nutritional needs of their stock jumping directly into the conversation with a detailed approach only serves to confuse, frustrate and turn them off from learning. On the other hand, if you can address their problem in as succinct a manner as possible, let them digest the new information, develop an understanding for the foundation, and come back for more later, in helpings they can handle they (and you) and get a lot further.
smile.png

I give mine all of the kitchen scraps... except most of the meat. That goes to my dogs! (I never give potato peels!!!=Poison) But the flock LOVES Pinto beans!!!! They are All protien!!!! They also go crazy for spaghetti and meat sauce! LOL

God Bless!

Last edited:
I give mine all of the kitchen scraps... except most of the meat. That goes to my dogs! (I never give potato peels!!!=Poison) But the flock LOVES Pinto beans!!!! They are All protein!!!! They also go crazy for spaghetti and meat sauce! LOL

I have always given them potato peels with out any problems, my grandparents always gave theirs potato peels also without any troubles.​

I think I read potato peels were bad if raw and had much green on them, like if they are sprouting or something. (they aren't good for ppl that way, either, altho I suspect like most things small amounts won't cause any damage)

JenO,
I heard the same thing, have to watch for the green tinge in the potatoe skin. But i heard it in regards to people, not chickens.
When i had chickens some years ago, i always gave them tater peels and they loved them, never had a problem. But now I am hearing never feed them to chickens, i'm sure there is a good reason so I won't be feeding them.
Besides, my dogs would not be pleased cuz they love em!

Back
Top Bottom