PROTEIN!!!PROTEIN!!!PROTEIN!!! (Please)

Stuby05

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
North Central, ND
I am going to try giving my chickens extra protein, anyone have any suggestions of a quick easy source of extra protein I can give them? I am hoping this will cure my problem of feather loss/ possibly feather eating.

My girls like greek yogurt.
smile.png

Quote:
Is that what is covering the wattles on your avatar pic, love it!
tongue.png

You can also use fishmeal, no more than 5-10 percent of your total feed, otherwise you'll get some really funky eggs.

Last edited:
Scrambled eggs, grated cheese, cut up left over steak, chicken, or other meat are all good sources of protein. Some folks like to give out some cat food since it's really high in protein. I haven't used cat food yet, but my chickens LOVE all the above items. My son even shot a rabbit, at most of it, and then put the bones out with the last bit of meat on them and they were picked dry by morning.

Mealworms, scrambled eggs, . . . just about anything. My personal favorite is organic ground beef which I give them raw, just a small bit a couple of times per week in the cold weather when there's no bugs. You can use cat food but be careful of too much sodium.

Another good option is to change their food to a higher protein food like Purina Flock Raiser which has 20%. I use it and really like it.

Hope that this helps but also check their environment; ie, whether there's enough room for all the birds to not get crowded. Remember, minimum suggestions are just that and often the minimums don't work well.

Mary

What are you feeding them now? The easiest way to remedy a nutritional deficiency is to address it at its source. Supplemental protein will help in the short term if that is the problem but it's just masking the problem, which is a deficient diet overall, unless you remedy it forever. In other words, you need to pick something you can stick with forever, not just a quick short term fix as if they are protein deficient as soon as you quit giving them the extra supplement the problem will begin anew.

In addition to what everyone else said, you can get a small bag of "calf manna" or a similar product and add a small amount to your feed to post protein and other nutrients.

Quote:
Is that what is covering the wattles on your avatar pic, love it!
tongue.png

You can also use fishmeal, no more than 5-10 percent of your total feed, otherwise you'll get some really funky eggs.

Yes! LOL Mondays are yogurt day.
smile.png

62514_0722101828a.jpg

Mine love yogurt and cottage cheese; it is so funny when they eat it - they come to me and wipe their faces on my pants, and go back to eating...repeat. I end up covered in yogurt while they end up fat and clean.

Back
Top Bottom