Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

Pics
I ordered the discontinued Sunbeam model 756-500 trying to be sure of avoiding auto-shutoff. $13 on Amazon. I saw a few reviews where people had ordered the newer version of this one (731-500) but then received a different model that has 2-hour auto-off (which cannot be disabled). Sunbeam's website reveals this to be a different model but I do wonder if this means the 731-500 is also being discontinued? After all, they are identical other than this one crucial feature so why would they continue to offer both? I hope I'm wrong because $13 is much more appealing than $30 (for the model offering auto-off override). The whole point of DIY is to either make it better, make it cheaper, or (preferably) both!
i'm curious if anyone has a verified source of the correct heat pad as of late. $13 is pretty unbeatable but if I decide to go for it, I don't want to end up with the auto off only option.

Auto off features do not always work as our family found out a couple years ago when our grandsons bedroom was on fire. A Sunbeam humidifier that was supposedly auto-off when it runs out of water did not shut down but instead ran without water, overheated and caught fire. The children lost their toys and their clothing, and some of their furniture. Sunbeam when called said they would check into it--no apology and never heard from them again. We will never trust an auto off appliance with our lives or that of any living creature in our family.

i'm curious if anyone has a verified source of the correct heat pad as of late.  $13 is pretty unbeatable but if I decide to go for it, I don't want to end up with the auto off only option.

You could order directly from Sunbeam. The last time I looked, their pricing was similar. And, can always ask them to match.

i'm curious if anyone has a verified source of the correct heat pad as of late. $13 is pretty unbeatable but if I decide to go for it, I don't want to end up with the auto off only option.
I sent you a PM in response to yours. There are different sizes available. I use the large and the small. But I gotta say, this XXL is appealing!
gig.gif
More chicks!

thank you, the extra large one could be helpful with my 37 cobb 500 cornish cross! they are so jumpy and plucky they are banging into heat lamp and I know it's a matter of time before they burst the bulb.

thank you, the extra large one could be helpful with my 37 cobb 500 cornish cross! they are so jumpy and plucky they are banging into heat lamp and I know it's a matter of time before they burst the bulb.
Not sure 1 of any size pad is big enough for 37 meat birds,
there is still a place for heat lamps and your situation might be one of them.
Put some 1/2" hardware cloth over the edge of lamp shade to keep chicks from hitting bulb.

@Blooie got a link for that thing so we can see a cost.....new size this year? Couple and few inches bigger each way.

I ordered this one on March 29th. Model 732-500. It doesn't have an auto-off, though if they mix up the models when shipping, I guess you have to cross your fingers and hope.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGDDI0

I've missed in the thousands of posts on heating pads how many chicks can fit under a 12"x24" pad. I've got 18 shipping to me on the 19th, and I'm hoping this will be large enough.

Not sure 1 of any size pad is big enough for 37 meat birds, there is still a place for heat lamps and your situation might be one of them. Put some 1/2" hardware cloth over the edge of lamp shade to keep chicks from hitting bulb. @Blooie got a link for that thing so we can see a cost.....new size this year? Couple and few inches bigger each way.
I agree. There are just some situations where a heat lamp is more practical. I think that is a new size this year and when I get home and on my computer instead of this stoopid tablet I'll find and post it. WesleyBeal you should be okayc- folks have done that number before with the large pad. You might be pushing it but they aren't under it all day and all at the same time - they'll spend a lot of time on top of it too. During the night is about the only time they all go under. A large brood doesn't all fit under a Broody hen as they get bigger, either. Just watch them at first and let them try to sort it all out.

thanks everyone, I may very well stick with the heat lamp this go round but I may try multiple heat mats next time and see if i can pull it off... this thread really has me thinking. if CX were actually asleep all night, it might improve their overall well being, having a light source 24/7 surely messes with their rhythms.

WesleyBeal you should be okayc- folks have done that number before with the large pad. You might be pushing it but they aren't under it all day and all at the same time - they'll spend a lot of time on top of it too. During the night is about the only time they all go under. A large brood doesn't all fit under a Broody hen as they get bigger, either. Just watch them at first and let them try to sort it all out.
Agrees 18 should be fine.
I did 16 last year and by the time they didn't all fit under they didn't really need it any more,
they just kind oozed out the front and back.

Back
Top Bottom