Psittacosis ?

I thought they said flu, but it was over a year ago. Maybe they just said disease survey. Nothing reportable ever found in my flock- we battle with the common lice and various other parasites. I know they went to three other places nearby, that also were as surprised as I, as it was not a prearranged visit. I did wonder if I was not home, would they have come onto the property. They caught about 15 of my 40 birds, they free range- and it was not easy. They even managed to corner one of the guineas. They were definitely doing throat swabs not cloacal. Now I wonder what they were actually looking for. If there is a next time, I will ask and be very specific.

Heard back from one of the state vets. She was super nice. I explained the situation and she completely understood. Basically she said get the psittacosis test, even if it were positive, all they'd do is quarantine and retest after treatment (and they haven't seen a case of psittacosis here in years!)

She discouraged a Mycoplasma gallisepticum test as it is present in the gut and remains even after treatment (or something to that effect) Basically, it's a can of worms best left unopened.

So I shall arrange for the psittacosis test and not worry about it. Thanks for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom