PT Testing in Texas

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 7.40.45 PM.png

Just to update this with the newest info - Texas now has another option. You can still have your flock tested by a tester trained and authorized by TVMDL; but if you sell off-site at public venues (e.g., auctions, flea market, non-competition shows/trade days, etc.) then you must register your flock with TAHC anyway, and they now provide the testing for free when they do your annual farm inspection. I believe flock registration is $100 a year, so even if you don't sell off-site, it might be less expensive than a private tester anyway.

Note: if you sell poultry or hatching eggs in Texas, regardless of onsite or off, you must have an annual PT test and maintain sales paperwork. TAHC flock registration is only required for off-site public sales, but anyone can sign up. Selling or shipping across state lines or through some in-state retail locations additionally require NPIP.

The purpose here isn't for more government oversight or to make it harder to do business, it's to be able to identify and track disease and to create a minimum standard for anyone that's doing business as a breeder. Of all the positive PT tests that the lab has been alerted to in the last five years, only one was not a false-positive and it was not in a chicken. What is concerning though, is that Marek's, MG, MS, and other non-reportables are on the rise (based on lab submissions) and are tracing back to unregistered/tested sellers. (I took the class last week.) The only way we can prevent more rules is to police ourselves. Don't buy from non PT clean sources, don't sell sick chickens, quarantine, practice biosecurity, and report unscrupulous sellers to TAHC.

@Kiki I don't know if this was part of the program when you were authorized, but in training last week we were instructed to verify the PT/NPIP source status of any birds ineligible for testing. If there was no documentation to verify, they did not get listed on the form. (We even discussed the ability to look up purchase history in the TSC neighbors club in lieu of a receipt.)

I don't know when the next class will be. They said they're going to try to get two classes in per year, but right now they're doing good to get one in. I got on the waiting list last April and checked the site every Friday until it popped up. There were more people on the waiting list than spaces available. Link: https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/poultry/authorized-testing-agent-training/

Just to update this with the newest info - Texas now has another option. You can still have your flock tested by a tester trained and authorized by TVMDL; but if you sell off-site at public venues (e.g., auctions, flea market, non-competition shows/trade days, etc.) then you must register your flock with TAHC anyway, and they now provide the testing for free when they do your annual farm inspection. I believe flock registration is $100 a year, so even if you don't sell off-site, it might be less expensive than a private tester anyway.

Note: if you sell poultry or hatching eggs in Texas, regardless of onsite or off, you must have an annual PT test and maintain sales paperwork. TAHC flock registration is only required for off-site public sales, but anyone can sign up. Selling or shipping across state lines or through some in-state retail locations additionally require NPIP.

The purpose here isn't for more government oversight or to make it harder to do business, it's to be able to identify and track disease and to create a minimum standard for anyone that's doing business as a breeder. Of all the positive PT tests that the lab has been alerted to in the last five years, only one was not a false-positive and it was not in a chicken. What is concerning though, is that Marek's, MG, MS, and other non-reportables are on the rise (based on lab submissions) and are tracing back to unregistered/tested sellers. (I took the class last week.) The only way we can prevent more rules is to police ourselves. Don't buy from non PT clean sources, don't sell sick chickens, quarantine, practice biosecurity, and report unscrupulous sellers to TAHC.

@Kiki I don't know if this was part of the program when you were authorized, but in training last week we were instructed to verify the PT/NPIP source status of any birds ineligible for testing. If there was no documentation to verify, they did not get listed on the form. (We even discussed the ability to look up purchase history in the TSC neighbors club in lieu of a receipt.)

I don't know when the next class will be. They said they're going to try to get two classes in per year, but right now they're doing good to get one in. I got on the waiting list last April and checked the site every Friday until it popped up. There were more people on the waiting list than spaces available. Link: https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/poultry/authorized-testing-agent-training/
Thank you!

I just emailed to be added to the waitist.

Back
Top Bottom