PT vs NPIP and effects of positive test

strobl4christ

Chirping
Apr 4, 2019
We are new to breeding and selling and was told we need to do PT Testing.

1)what is the difference between PT testing and NPIP?
2)What happens to my business or my flock if positive result?

I ask because I have a couple of hens that have been rescued and present infection in reproductive tract. They don't even lay anymore due to EYP and occasionally pass a ball of infection (aka lash egg). I want to make sure these two rescues don't endanger the results of PT.

NPIP is a testing and reporting Program of voluntary participants.

PT is Pullorum-Typhoid, one of the diseases that is looked for as part of NPIP testing. Its very serious, but also very rare.

This should help explain it better.
That makes me nervous because one vet on a vet page responded that my sweet Molly probably has Salmonella infection as a result of EYP from an egg busting inside her. She is probably within a year from passing, but I certainly dont want to lose all of my flock because of one bird that got infected from a eggshell remains.

My biggest fear is having to euthanize my babies (my chickens) because my daughter wants to sell chicks and we are required to pass a PT test when all I see is CDC warnings left and right about backyard chickens being dangerous.

What state are you in?

PT is extremely rare these days.
All states require you pass a PT test in order to become a member of the NPIP.
A lot of state also require more testing in order to become a NPIP member.

It all depends on which state you are in.

My biggest fear is having to euthanize my babies (my chickens) because my daughter wants to sell chicks and we are required to pass a PT test when all I see is CDC warnings left and right about backyard chickens being dangerous.
There are a lot of nasty chicken diseases out there. Unfortunately there are a lot of scummy people who don't think it's wrong to sell sick birds.

I highly recommend you research and learn about chicken diseases before you start buying and selling.

What state are you in?

PT is extremely rare these days.
All states require you pass a PT test in order to become a member of the NPIP.
A lot of state also require more testing in order to become a NPIP member.

It all depends on which state you are in.
Texas

That makes me nervous because one vet on a vet page responded that my sweet Molly probably has Salmonella infection as a result of EYP from an egg busting inside her. She is probably within a year from passing, but I certainly dont want to lose all of my flock because of one bird that got infected from a eggshell remains.
It is highly likely this bird does have an infection. The quicker you see a vet the better chance you have of saving her life with antibiotics. This type of infection will not cause your birds to all be taken away from you.

You for sure should not be selling birds until you have testing done to know why this bird is sick. Your state lab is the cheapest when it comes to getting a necropsy on her when she dies...so you know exactly what happened.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom