Pubic Bone Checking Question!

Fur-N-Fowl

Fluffy Dinosaur Breeder
May 25, 2019
UK
Hello everyone again!
:frow

I've just came back from my holiday (which was amazing!) and I'm super happy to be back with my chickens again.

Whilst I was away, I had one of my white Silkies sitting on 5 eggs. All hatched great and my family kept me updated with how they were doing. We took the chicks off her after 2 days because I wanted to keep them in the brooder with my other Silkie chicks.

I re-introduced my white Silkie back into my coop and run and all was ok.

While I was away on holiday, my small partridge pullet stopped laying after laying around 30 or so eggs in and row. She's having a break now.

However, I was still getting eggs in the nest boxes. I know it's definitely not the partridge since her eggs are very small.

So that leaves that the eggs are either coming from my Gold, my bearded white or my non bearded white (which I just took the chicks off).

So, because I was unsure of who was laying, I decided to check the pubic bones. My first time checking.

The partridge: Only 2 finger spacing.

The gold: 4 finger spacing.

The bearded white: 1 and a half finger spacing (she's never laid yet to my knowledge, still only around 6 months).

The non bearded white: 1 and a half finger spacing.

So from that, I'm guessing the eggs are coming from my Gold.

However, my main question here is that even though my non bearded white had previously laid for quite a few months before going broody, shouldn't her pubic bone spacing be larger?

Or when a pullet/hen has a break in egg laying or goes broody, does their pubic bone spacing reduce/get smaller?

I was expecting my non bearded whites pubic bone to be around 3-4 finger spacing, not 1 and a half :confused:

The reason I'm trying to figure out who was laying was because I was hoping it was my bearded white. I'm looking forward to her eventually laying and incubating some eggs.​

I would also guess that the gold is the bird that is laying. Yes, pubic bone spacing does decrease when a hen is not laying. It was Mom's method of picking who would be invited to Sunday dinner.

Ah right Thankyou!

I didn't realise that the spacing would have reduced when she was sitting eggs. Although it is logical since they stop laying when broody.

I'll re-check the spacing on her when she begins to lay again.

She's still just a pullet around 9 months so her laying days definitely aren't over yet.

Last edited:
I would also guess that the gold is the bird that is laying. Yes, pubic bone spacing does decrease when a hen is not laying.
Yeppers....tho I have not tested how quickly the spacing will decrease.
I do know the spacing can increase up to a week or two so before onset of lay in pullets.

Back
Top Bottom