Puffed and Shaking Chicken

LordLinz

Hatching
Nov 9, 2018
I have a Plymouth Rock hen that will not come out of the coop and is puffing her feathers out and shaking. Does anyone know what would be causing this? I was thinking maybe fleas or mites but I cant see anything, but then again I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.....

She sounds sick. Can you put her in a dog crate or small pen or cage or anything so that you can keep her warm and also separate from the flock. Does she have any swollen eyes, discharge of any kind? Has she lost weight? Diarrhea? Blood anywhere? How old is she? Is she eating/ drinking? If you have someone to help you you can gently pry open her beak (not by the very tip) and check her mouth and throat with a flashlight. I don't believe external parasites would cause this, unless she has some significant signs of them.

Puffing up is either a sign of illness or being cold. The shivering response is somewhat rare in chickens, and may signify a something going on in the nervous system.

Can she stand? How is her balance? Is she doing anything weird with her head and neck?

Is it very cold where you are? Have you checked the feed for mold? Do you know what she's been eating lately? Any strange, unfamiliar things? Do you have a compost pile which is soggy and moldy? How about any machines standing around in the yard leaking fluids onto the soil?

Other chickens? How many? Have any of them been acting "off"? Have you imported any top soil? Borrowed or lent out yard and garden tools lately? Have you noticed their poop and if there's any blood in it?

I have a Plymouth Rock hen that will not come out of the coop and is puffing her feathers out and shaking. Does anyone know what would be causing this? I was thinking maybe fleas or mites but I cant see anything, but then again I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.....
Very good questions POSTED by @azygous above. If you can answer those, the information would be very helpful.
Photos of your hen and her poop would also be good.

Back
Top Bottom