Puffed up and shaking chicken

Edurst

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
hi all! I just received three new chickens from a friend who owns a chicken farm. All three are molting and look a little worse for wear but otherwise seem healthy. However one I noticed keeps puffing herself up and is shaking. I also noticed one of her eyes clouds over but then goes back to normal. I am relatively new to chickens and have never seen any of this before. I'm worried if she's sick that she may pass something on to my other chickens especially my oldest whom I've grown fond of. Does anyone know about any of these symptoms? Should I be really concerned? Thank you to anyone who might have some time to post some advice.

Do you have any pictures of the hen or her eye? Are there any bubbles, foam, or gunk in the eye? What do you mean by her eye clouds over, then goes back to normal? How cold is it? Is she staying dry and out of the wind? How old is she? What do her droppings look like? Is she eating and drinking? Is her tail up or down? What does her crop feel like? Sorry for all of the questions.

Do you have any pictures of the hen or her eye? Are there any bubbles, foam, or gunk in the eye? What do you mean by her eye clouds over, then goes back to normal? How cold is it? Is she staying dry and out of the wind? How old is she? What do her droppings look like? Is she eating and drinking? Is her tail up or down? What does her crop feel like? Sorry for all of the questions.
It actually did get pretty cold the past couple days and rainy as well and I'm thinking perhaps the stress of the move might be part of it too we only just got them saturday. No Gunk or anything else in her eye I watched her some more and it looks like she closes her eye and then when she opens it it's clouded over upon for the research I guess that's part of their eyelid? I may have jumped the gun on that as I've never had my other chickens do that or at least that I've seen. I found out The chicken farm I got them from are tested weekly for diseases Etc so I feel a bit better about that. Her poop looks okay I think it was just the combination of all three at once: puffed, shaking, eyelid but otherwise she's acting okay.

I’ve never heard of testing for diseases weekly. That would be unusual and very expensive. Some people who are NPIP tested will get testing once or more a year.That testing is just for pullorum, although some may offer testing for certain respiratory diseases.
I would make sure they have a lot of thick bedding in the coop, and block any windy areas, but make sure they still have overhead ventliation.

You are correct that the nictitating membrane or third eyelid can partially cover the eyeball. Also when they close their eyes, it can look like they are white.

Thank you! I do think I jumped the gun on this one as I'm new to chickens the more I research the more I think she might be just stressed from the move, cold (they were raised indoor heated with thousands of others), and I never knew about their eyelid since I've never seen that on my other chickens but pretty sure that's all it was. I did throw in a bunch of extra shavings tonight sense it's chilly and I'll just keep an eye on her. I consider these girls my rescues since they came from a large scale chicken farm. I'm sure this is the first time they've smelled fresh air and felt the sunshine on them! Thanks again for your insight!

I’ve never heard of testing for diseases weekly. That would be unusual and very expensive. Some people who are NPIP tested will get testing once or more a year.That testing is just for pullorum, although some may offer testing for certain respiratory diseases.
I would make sure they have a lot of thick bedding in the coop, and block any windy areas, but make sure they still have overhead ventliation.

You are correct that the nictitating membrane or third eyelid can partially cover the eyeball. Also when they close their eyes, it can look like they are white.

Back
Top Bottom