Puffed up ducks.

thumper650

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 10, 2018
Maynard, MA
So my bachelor flock has just been reunited and the fighting has subsided. There’s still little spats, but no knock down drag outs. They do this a lot lately. We call it “puffed up duck”. Anyone know what it means, If anything?
174C7228-16BB-4B52-9B17-7A06CCB074B4.jpeg

Bill, my black runner doing the runner version of puff up.
61A7AE04-1145-4D72-90CF-306671E755AA.jpeg

My female Rouen does that a lot when I come around. I take it to mean, "Look how big I am, don't come near me!" type of posturing. Almost like an, "I'm too big to attack" type of thing. She's the only one of my ducks that does it. You'll also see them do it when they get in the water. They are filling up their air sacs to help them float.

So my bachelor flock has just been reunited and the fighting has subsided. There’s still little spats, but no knock down drag outs. They do this a lot lately. We call it “puffed up duck”. Anyone know what it means, If anything?
View attachment 1903673
Bill, my black runner doing the runner version of puff up.
View attachment 1903674
Very cute boys. My drakes do this behavior to impress females, and/or to impress/intimidate another male. Obviously with your situation, they are most likely demonstrating this behavior to come across as big and impressive to the other boys.

Back
Top Bottom