Puffed up lumpy pullet

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
I have a chicken that spends most of her time puffed up. She always appears to be trying to go to sleep...regardless of the time of day.

Also, I noticed that she has some type of lump or mass on the right side of her chest. It feels like she has a golf ball under her skin.

She had a swollen eye earlier in the week but that is gone. She is eating ok and doesn't appear to have anything wrong w/her and in good spirits. Should I be concerned?

Did you have your birds on medicated starter? A faecal exam might be a good idea to determine if cocci or worms is troubling her.

A continually puffed up chicken is a worry- it typically means she is cold. Also, the sleepiness is concerning.

I would immediately separate her from the group and preferably bring her to a nice warm room inside the house. She needs to spend her energy healing, not keeping herself warm. If she starts to pant it's too warm.

Take a good look at her poo and her food and water intake.

The golf ball on her chest is likely her full crop- It should get smaller over time and then re-fill when she eats.

I agree with dianna that you should have her checked for worms....in the meantime I would put ACV into her water and feed her some good probiotic yogurt (preferrably unflavored and uncolored- but any will do in a pinch). A good vitamin supplement to use is called avia charge 2000.

Good luck- and keep us posted
Sandra

Last night she seemed more alert than she has been the last few days. I was unable to find medicated feed in our area but a guy at TS suggested a mix of chick/adult feed and medicated water. So that is what I have her on now.

I have vitamin powder to add to water. Can that be mixed w/the medicated water?

The only place I can keep her seperated right now is in a dog cage in the house. We are going away this weekend. Do you think she'd be better in the house in the cage or in the coop? My concern is if she spills her water, she will be w/o for a day or two....plus lonely!

She is eating and drinking well. I didn't see any evidence of worms in her poop yesterday. But that was just a glance. Should I dig thru it? Are worms big in chicken poop? I am only familiar w/worms in cats and how they look.

I was thinking she was about 6mos...just a guess...but after comparing her to the rescues from Deb, she is much smaller!

I am new to all of this and nervous about not making her right. She is a great bird with a wonderful personality. Everyone has become attached to her. Even cranky old DH.

Back
Top Bottom