Puffed up Male

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rockgoblin, Jan 25, 2014.

1. rockgoblin

rockgoblin New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    My Male Japanese Quail has been "Puffed Up" for the last couple of days.He has been eating and drinking as normal.
    Any ideas why he is Puffed Up?
    Regards

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    To keep warm, they puff up to create air chambers to trap their body heat. If we wear skin tight clothing in really cold weather we will feel cold, but if we put on loose fitting cloths we feel warmer as the warmth we create is in that space between us and the coat. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about, unless it starts standing in a corner alone.

1 person likes this.
  3. rockgoblin

rockgoblin New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Thankyou for the information[​IMG]

4. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    You're welcome! [​IMG]

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Puffing up for a few minutes is normal but if he has been doing it for two days something is wrong. Examine the birds feces to see if it seem irregular. Weigh the bird or handle it so you know how much it weighs and check it's weight each day. Pick it up and see if it feels like it has lost weight. Are his eyes runny or cloudy looking?

Also separate the bird if he is in a group and give it a heat lamp to keep him warm so he isn't wasting energy doing it himself. If you have a vitamin supplement like vitasol put it in his water.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by