Puffy faces. Please Help.

Infectious bronchitis? According to Merck:

Clinical Findings:
Signs occur after an incubation period of 18-48 hr. Spread to other birds is rapid, and morbidity may be nearly 100%. The nature and severity of the disease are influenced by the age and immune status of the flock and virulence of the causal strain. Young chickens cough, sneeze, and have tracheal rales for 10-14 days. Wet eyes and dyspnea may be seen, and facial swelling may also occur ccasionally, particularly with concurrent bacterial infection of the sinuses. In broiler chickens, IBV infection is a major cause of poor feed conversion, reduced growth rate, and condemnation of meat at processing. Nephropathogenic strains can produce interstitial nephritis with high mortality (up to 60%) in young chickens. In most outbreaks, however, mortality is 5%, although secondary bacterial infections may cause higher losses.

In layers, egg production may drop 5-50%, and eggs are often misshapen, thin-shelled, and contain watery albumen. Egg production and egg quality generally return to near normal levels in most birds on recovery.

Here's a link to the Merck Vet Manual: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206500.htm for more information.

ETA: Since the swelling can indicate secondary bacterial infection of the sinuses, that symptom may be treatable with antibiotics.

Last edited:
Get some Tylan, the vet got it for me. It will go through your whole flock. Just put it in drinking water and I'd give it to all. Keep sick chicks seperated. They will do better in a couple of weeks.

I am NOT an expert on chicken ailments, but I do also live in your neighborhood in South Florida and I think it could just be Fowl Pox. If they're not sneezing or wheezing it may not be a respiratory ailment, just dramatic affects of Fowl Pox. Is this their first summer? Fowl Pox is spread by mosquitoes and usually only affects the young birds. Older birds have usually already gotten it to some extent and have built their own immunity to it, and are not affected again.

My understanding is that there is a dry form & a wet form. The dry form just leaves scabs on the combs & wattles, and the bird will heal itself in its own time with little to no intervention. The wet form can affect mucus membranes, the nose, eyes, mouth, and can kill a bird if it's really severe.

I've had birds get the swelling in the face, and it has gone away on its own. Right now I have a batch of chicks around 10 weeks old who have all had the Fowl Pox to some degree already, and most of them are finally over it. I did nothing to intervene.

Remember, this is just my $.02, others may know better & have more expert advice. We have a great vet in the area who knows & treats chickens, may even give you some advice over the phone. Call Dr Dale Porcher (pronounced pore-SHAY) at Shores Animal Clinic, 561-964-4488. Tell him a member of the Poultry Club referred you.

Thank you Sunny,
I have met Dr Porcher and sent him an email this morning. He responded to my emai and he seems to think that we may be dealing with Infectious Bronchitis or CRD.
He said to call him Monday to discuss treatment and vaccines. So that's what I will do.
Today I noticed one of my boys is having a hard time breathing and is rattling. They are all so pitiful, just breaks my heart. I went to the feed store this morning to see if I could get some advice and the lady said that there has been a lot of illness and Pox in poultry in this area lately and they were working with some of the hatcheries trying to figure out what is going on. I wanted to stock up on some meds because I have nothing around for my chickens so I got some VetRX, Sulmet, DE. They had some Tylan 50 but it is an injectable and i am not sure i can do that.
I will wait until I speak with Dr. Porcher before I start treatment, I just hope they will be ok until then.
Thank you all for your help and support.
I will let you know what we discuss on Monday and how treatment goes. I hope this thread will help someone that is going through the same thing. I don't think I have ever felt this helpless and it is awful!

ccrichard, giving animals vaccinations is not hard at all. I had to learn how to do it to give my horses their shots for West Nile etc. since the vet would charge more than the vaccine to just come out to give them the shot. I would check to see if there is a post somewhere on how to give them to chickens. I am pretty sure there is because I think someone posted how to give Merek's vaccines. You might not want to wait until Monday if your rooster is getting really bad. You could email the vet to see what he suggests too. It is not that scary once you have given your first shot. The feed store should carry the needles and stuff you would need. That is where I get mine. Good luck and I hope your chickers feel better soon!
fl.gif

does it smell? i would think corynza..................sorry if i spelled that wrong! If no smell i would say CRD or IB

You also have to consider if he will be a carrier and if he is ...........................i would cull! I had one like this, never responded to antibiotic's and i culled. ALSO seperate the sick ones from the rest of the flock!!!
Try the sumlet...............

Fowl pox will show with signs of black pox's on them. I don't think thats it to be honest

Well, what do I know? I told you it was only $.02 worth of advice. When you said there were no other symptoms I guessed Fowl Pox, because I've seen it affect my birds' heads & faces in an assortment of ways without otherwise bothering their day. But Dr Porcher will be able to give you much much more valuable advice on this, let us know what he says. I hope it is easily treatable.

Sunny, your .02 means a lot!!! You don't know how bad I was hoping for it to be Pox. The other symptoms didn't seem to show up until later. They were all just puffy. As of last night when they went to sleep they are all coughing and sneezing, honking and just plain lethargic. The boys tail feathers were all droopy.
I am so afraid of what I will find this morning.

Sillystunt, no odor, that i can smell.
So if it is CRD or IB they will be carriers for the rest if their lives? Oh No!!!! This has affected my original flock of 4, they are only about 4 months old. I also have 6 that are about 6 weeks old that are not showing any signs of illness yet.
24 two week olds that are in the house and 3 incubators full of eggs. I am so scared right now.

Dsqard - I really do need to learn how to give injections, I have always had a "fear" of needles and maybe it's time to get over it.

I have to wonder what I could have done differently to prevent this. We have a yard full of wild birds & squirrels and a pond that gets visited by the crane-like birds frequently. I wonder if that's how they got it? My birds free range all day in the yard and are put up at night.

Sounds like vaccines are the answer. I know they were vaccinated for the Majors, Newcastles, Mareks, Corza. Not sure about the CRD & the IB. I will get with the breeder to make sure.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom