Puffy lump under ducks beak. Help

One more thing, as these lumps are only a discovery from today, what should I do about the over the counter medicine I bought.

It's called vetafarm Triple c, it contains Chlortetracycline Hydrochloride. Which is a broad spectrum antibiotic, tomorrow would be his 5th day which is what the directions on the bottle state to keep them on it for.

Should I see out this last day or take him off it as its likely to be doing nothing at all?

So say hypothetically these are cysts.

How does one go about lancing them?
I've never seen them this large, nor have I seen them bilateral and symetric, but when I have seen them, I find the location of the offending feathers, clean the area with chlorhexidine, make an incision, remove pus and feather, then flush with saline and chlorhexidine.

And moreover from that, if they aren't cysts, and I go lancing them surely that'll cause a lot more issues provided they aren't already potentially life threatening to him already?
The location, size, symmetry and shape do make me wonder what they are, so like you, I would be concerned about cutting into them.

If your vet is an option I think that would be best.

Should I see out this last day or take him off it as its likely to be doing nothing at all?
I would probably stop.

So this mornings update, I'll try to get some pictures soon. But, I've had another feel of the lumps by his legs.

The one on his right leg has softened up considerably, it is now malliable, feels like butter I suppose? The one on his left leg has softened up a little. But is still relatively solid in the middle.

Currently sitting in the Epsom salt bath again with a small tupperware with water and wheat in which he is once again loving.

The lumps softening up is a good sign right?

I am talking about where we can see the skin on these areas. That will mean you have to wrap him in a towel and have someone hold him on his back long enough to get some really good pics. But if your going to have a vet look at him then It's not that important.

So had the vet came over, the lumps both under the beak and legs are benign tumors. He did give a full break down and explanation of how they occur but I wouldn't be able to recite it back.

As for the general sickness he thinks it's either Coccidiocis (forgive my spelling) which while rare in ducks, especially older ducks is entirely possible.

Or another illness that started with a B but I can't remember the name of it.

He's given us some antibiotics for him. Now it's down to little Peeper to keep on fighting as he has been the past who knows how many weeks that it's been building up on him.

Fingers crossed everyone!

So had the vet came over, the lumps both under the beak and legs are benign tumors. He did give a full break down and explanation of how they occur but I wouldn't be able to recite it back.

As for the general sickness he thinks it's either Coccidiocis (forgive my spelling) which while rare in ducks, especially older ducks is entirely possible.

Or another illness that started with a B but I can't remember the name of it.

He's given us some antibiotics for him. Now it's down to little Peeper to keep on fighting as he has been the past who knows how many weeks that it's been building up on him.

Fingers crossed everyone!
Thanks for the update. I hope the antibiotics will do the trick!

Back
Top Bottom