Pukey Hen

She seems to be taking to the bib well but is just hanging out on the floor.....do I need to be concerned?
20220602_142300.jpg

We did not TECHNICALLY medicate for the sour crop, but gave massages daily and added vitamins to the water.....that seemed to clear up and she isn't smelly currently
Well, I would :)

I'd treat for Sour crop and work on the bra.

You may have to tweak the bra or make something different. Carol made a thread about it, as you go through it, she made adjustments along with photos so it's worth the read.

Do keep in mind that often there's something else going on that is causing the crop issues.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/making-a-crop-bra-for-a-hen-with-pendulous-crop.1464848/

Well, I would :)

I'd treat for Sour crop and work on the bra.

You may have to tweak the bra or make something different. Carol made a thread about it, as you go through it, she made adjustments along with photos so it's worth the read.

Do keep in mind that often there's something else going on that is causing the crop issues.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/making-a-crop-bra-for-a-hen-with-pendulous-crop.1464848/
Will definitely get on that tomorrow!
These "something else" you mention....anything I can do or are we talking anatomy, unchangeables?

Will definitely get on that tomorrow!
These "something else" you mention....anything I can do or are we talking anatomy, unchangeables?
Something else can often be reproductive disorders ( Cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, EYP), worms, infection and/or Coccidiosis.
So getting a fecal float to check for worms can be helpful. Reproductive disorders, not a lot you can do about those but try to manage symptoms and offer supportive care (treat for worms, crop issues, lice/mites, etc.).

Something else can often be reproductive disorders ( Cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, EYP), worms, infection and/or Coccidiosis.
So getting a fecal float to check for worms can be helpful. Reproductive disorders, not a lot you can do about those but try to manage symptoms and offer supportive care (treat for worms, crop issues, lice/mites, etc.).
Thank you so much!!!

Ok, quick update from anyone following. We are currently day 3/4 of medicating for Sour crop after a few days isolation and food restriction and are seeing great progress. This morning her crop was nearly unnoticeable except for a little bit of grit in the bottom and last night her full crop was solid and not ENORMOUS. We have a few more days of medicine to complete and will keep a close eye on her as I haven't perfected the bib fit and she isn't wearing it often due to fit concerns but now may not need it.

Back
Top Bottom