Pullet beak injury

aliciaFarmer

Songster
May 3, 2018
Oregon
My Olive Egger girl sustained a beak injury today and I've never had such a problem. Would love some advice on what I should do versus not do, Etc. I'm in the process of fermenting her some feed so it softer and easier to consume. This just happened about an hour ago and she hasn't eaten yet but she's also in a bit of shock as can be imagined. I'm having a hard time getting a good picture but if you zoom in you can see what I mean. It's pulled away on the right side and cracked a bit in the front with a little bit of blood. I'm afraid of her getting that little flap caught on something but I'm even more afraid of trimming it for fear of injuring her more. Having never had this problem, I'm in a bit of a panic. I've separated her and put her in her own cozy little place so as not to be disturbed while she heals or at least comes down from the crazy scariness she must have endured.

20191001_093348.jpg

My previously sweet 2nd generation Olive Egger Cockerel had gone at her face yesterday and I figured he was just trying to figure things out in the mating department. She was fine, gave him a pack and walked off. Today he went for her face again and this was the result. Then he immediately went for another girl's face. Needless to say, I will be processing my very first chicken today or tomorrow and I'm not remotely excited. I'm catching him and putting him in a large dog kennel to keep him away from everyone else now that she's separated and safe. This is the first time I've ever had an aggressive rooster so I guess in the grand scheme of things I'm lucky considering I've had dozens. But that doesn't take away from the fact that this girl is hurt and I need to heal her.

Ive never seen an injury like this in my chickens. But I have seen an injured beak for a bird on a vet show. The bird lived with half its beak now missing, but is well. I believe they pretty much just kept it clean. We have had small injuries on our birds beaks. This year, one of our poults got a bad injury by its navals and all we really had to do for it is put vapo rub on it to control swelling and it healed fine. Though this injury looks worse then the one our poult had. I'd suggest just making sure it stays clean and shes in an area where it wont snag on anything. And if navals are swelling, put a vapo rub on it to help control that. If its still bleeding, quick stop powder works for that.

My Olive Egger girl sustained a beak injury today and I've never had such a problem. Would love some advice on what I should do versus not do, Etc. I'm in the process of fermenting her some feed so it softer and easier to consume. This just happened about an hour ago and she hasn't eaten yet but she's also in a bit of shock as can be imagined. I'm having a hard time getting a good picture but if you zoom in you can see what I mean. It's pulled away on the right side and cracked a bit in the front with a little bit of blood. I'm afraid of her getting that little flap caught on something but I'm even more afraid of trimming it for fear of injuring her more. Having never had this problem, I'm in a bit of a panic. I've separated her and put her in her own cozy little place so as not to be disturbed while she heals or at least comes down from the crazy scariness she must have endured.

View attachment 1922703

My previously sweet 2nd generation Olive Egger Cockerel had gone at her face yesterday and I figured he was just trying to figure things out in the mating department. She was fine, gave him a pack and walked off. Today he went for her face again and this was the result. Then he immediately went for another girl's face. Needless to say, I will be processing my very first chicken today or tomorrow and I'm not remotely excited. I'm catching him and putting him in a large dog kennel to keep him away from everyone else now that she's separated and safe. This is the first time I've ever had an aggressive rooster so I guess in the grand scheme of things I'm lucky considering I've had dozens. But that doesn't take away from the fact that this girl is hurt and I need to heal her.
I'd suggest washing it off, dry it, realign it to the correct position, & bandage the broken areas together with butterfly stitches.
Never dealt with this either, but that's what I'd do if she were my chicken.

I'm in the process of fermenting her some feed so it softer and easier to consume. This just happened about an hour ago and she hasn't eaten yet but she's also in a bit of shock as can be imagined

Today he went for her face again and this was the result.

sweet 2nd generation Olive Egger Cockerel had gone at her face yesterday and I figured he was just trying to figure things out in the mating department. She was fine, gave him a pack and walked off.

Then he immediately went for another girl's face. Needless to say, I will be processing my very first chicken today or tomorrow and I'm not remotely excited. I'm catching him and putting him in a large dog kennel to keep him away from everyone else now that she's separated and safe. This is the first time I've ever had an aggressive rooster so I guess in the grand scheme of things I'm lucky considering I've had dozens. But that doesn't take away from the fact that this girl is hurt and I need to heal her.
If you can, more photos might be helpful. Most beak injuries I've had, I leave them alone. If it's just the top part that's peeled up, there's a quick underneath, that will be extremely tender if exposed. That outer layer will eventually fall off - but again, it's hard to know without seeing the other side.

You don't have to let feed ferment to offer it as a mash - just soak a little feed in warm water for about 1/2 hr and serve - you may need to make it soupier or thicker depending on what she prefers.

How old is the cockerel? I do agree, likely he needs to be culled. If very young, he may grow out of some of that behavior, but if you have others you can pick from, then yes - process him and enjoy.

View attachment 1922703

I've dealt with this. Please read post #3 in this link, second and third paragraph:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broken-beak.1320506/#post-21528746

I'd suggest washing it off, dry it, realign it to the correct position, & bandage the broken areas together with butterfly stitches.
Never dealt with this either, but that's what I'd do if she were my chicken.

That's a great idea, thank you! I did wash it and although it looked bad, it didn't seem to bother her (I was super gentle).

Back
Top Bottom