pullet changing color??

tigercreek

Songster
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
Edgefield county South Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
I don't know where to ask this, because I don't know what is causing it, genetics, diesease, or some feed or vitamin problem. This is a pic of a 7 month old Australorp pullet that was black until a month or so ago. I thought maybe she was moulting, but her condition does not seem to be changing. Some of her feathers have turned grey/white. They are not new feathers, but old ones that changed color. Any help?? She seems perfectly healthy otherwise, and I have others in with her that are not changing color.

72957_img_3912.jpg

thanks ...........stan

I don't know anything about that breed chicken, but the chicks I've raised changed in color as they matured and developed their adult plumage. I believe this is normal. Have you searched to see what color an adult Australorp plumage should be?

I actually have an australorpe, and at one time, a few of her feathers were turning colored like this, but they grew out and turned black. I wouldn't be TOO worried, but keep a watchful eye

My Marans are doing this too. Well one in particular. He had no white anywhere that I knew of, and boom there they were white feathers and fluff ..... he is about the same age as yours and is going through his juvenile moult. I don't think it will be as sever as their first real moult. The black color just bleed out of the feathers. Someone suggested marking the feathers with a sharpie and see if you don't find them on the ground one day.

My other young birds are going through a mini moult and have stopped laying as much. I hope this does not last long.

I don't know anything about that breed chicken, but the chicks I've raised changed in color as they matured and developed their adult plumage. I believe this is normal. Have you searched to see what color an adult Australorp plumage should be?

She should be black. There are some blue and other colors that are not recognized, but she was solid black from the day she was born untill recently, and that is the color she is supposed to be.

She might have a pigment problem. Or could she be a blue/splash?

Might be a pigment problem, but I am pretty sure she does not have any blue in her background, Plus she was solid black and feathered black. Feathers are just losing their pigment for some reason and I would like to reverse that problem. Thanks

I actually have an australorpe, and at one time, a few of her feathers were turning colored like this, but they grew out and turned black. I wouldn't be TOO worried, but keep a watchful eye

I kind of thought at first that she might be going into a moult, but she has not lost very many feathers in a months time. Still seems very healthy with a good appitite.

Any more ideas, or maybe I should post in another thread??

thanks all, ......stan

Never seen an Australorp do that! And I don't think I have ever heard of a splash Australorp either. She is very very pretty though....

One of my Australorp pullets is going through a lightening of her feather colors too. Because she's fluffy and not sleek like normal, I know she's going through a light molt and I've attributed the color change to the molt. I fully expect those light feathers to fall out and be replaced by the glossy black feathers she had before.

Back
Top Bottom