Pullet/Cockerel Hatch %

orrpeople

Grading essays - be back soon!
6 Years
Jun 15, 2016
State of Jefferson
When it comes to the "odds", my chick hatching (straight run) percentages probably do fall close to the 50/50 range for pullets and cockerels. But I've had a few crazy ones too! Currently I have 16 three-week-olds who look like they're a 12-4 (cockerel heavy) ratio.

What's your experience? Have you ever hatched ALL pullets or cockerels (and then won the lottery! 😀 ) I'd love to hear how the odds have played out in other incubators!

Last edited:
My ratios are all over the place. Had a hatch of 5 BCM and only one was a pullet. Then I hatched 5 Wheaten Ameraucanas and two were pullets. Many hatches I find about 50/50, but my last hatch during the summer was awesome with only one cockerel out of seven chicks!

Unfortunately, the only way to be assure all pullets is to order them as adult layers (which is extremely expensive and you need to pick them up) or get sex linked chicks that are assured to be pullets. I have RIR roosters and leghorn hens so those together hatch me sex links - I know their sex immediately from hatch. There is always a 50/50 chance; something you have to plan ahead for if you’re planning to hatch any eggs. It’s the hen that determines the sex of the chicks, and in my experience I’ve always gotten more cockerels than pullets.

Back
Top Bottom