Pullet concerned about her disappearing eggs

GrandmaJr

Chirping
May 5, 2020
Southern Ontario/GTA (Canada)
I’m a first-time chicken mom and just learning the ropes (much thanks to BYC for much of my education! The rest of the credit goes to my ladies).

Three of my five 19 week-old pullets are just starting to lay, and one (my Red X) appears to be very sensitive about her eggs going missing! She looked in the nesting box for her freshly laid egg the other day and literally started wailing when she saw it was no longer there! I put it back, and now she’s fine, but two days later she’s still checking on it! I can’t find anything on this topic anywhere.. maybe I’m not punching in the right keywords to my searches.. but most everything comes up that the (non-broody) chickens don’t notice or don’t care that their eggs are taken. Has anyone else had a pullet doing this? I think it’s kind of cute but could it lead to other behaviours? Thanks!

I haven't heard of pullets doing this. Mine certainly didn't care if I remove the eggs. Perhaps you could leave a ceramic egg in the nest to ease her mind? That way she won't freak out and you can still collect the eggs.
This should make her happy.

I haven't heard of pullets doing this. Mine certainly didn't care if I remove the eggs. Perhaps you could leave a ceramic egg in the nest to ease her mind? That way she won't freak out and you can still collect the eggs.
Thanks for your reply! I do have a ceramic egg in each nesting box, but they are white eggs, and the Red X lays brown eggs. She is very observant!

Thanks for your reply! I do have a ceramic egg in each nesting box, but they are white eggs, and the Red X lays brown eggs. She is very observant!
Wow, I guess she is! I have seen different colored ones sold in the store, If you're so inclined you could always pick up another.

Wow, I guess she is! I have seen different colored ones sold in the store, If you're so inclined you could always pick up another.
Yes I’ve been thinking of getting some more ceramic eggs in brown to help her out. So when I take her egg I can replace it with a ceramic one and hopefully she won’t notice! Thanks again! :p

Maybe put an X on one egg while you collect the others and just leave one of her eggs .. maybe?? I am very new to this raising Chicken thing. The X is so you know to toss it and not eat it after it has been in the nest for a while.

Maybe put an X on one egg while you collect the others and just leave one of her eggs .. maybe?? I am very new to this raising Chicken thing. The X is so you know to toss it and not eat it after it has been in the nest for a while.
That’s a good idea! Thanks! She seems to have relaxed a little, thankfully, but if she starts getting agitated about her eggs going missing again I can try that tactic. :)

Back
Top Bottom