Pullet did not grow, did not start laying, and then died

one-tempi

Hatching
Feb 25, 2021
Hello all -

I am trying to solve a sad mystery. I received 3 leghorn pullets a couple months ago. I was told that they were all the same age, and when I got them, they were all the same size. One of three did not grow at the rate of the other two - always a bit smaller. Additionally, her comb remained smaller and less vibrant in color as the other two hens' grew larger and redder. Her feathers were also more dull than the others'. The other two hens started laying about one month ago and have been laying regularly ever since. The hen in question never started laying. This morning, I found her dead in the coop. She seemed normal yesterday - no signs of goop around eyes, no apparent lethargy. No signs of trauma this morning. Although we had crazy low temps last week (I'm in Texas), the weather has been mild over the last few days and nights. Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone know what might have caused the stunted development that I am assuming ultimately led to her death? I have been unsuccessful in finding information regarding this online. Thank you.

Maybe she had digestive problems preventing her from absorbing the nutrients she needed. Was she eating layer feed or grower? I’ve heard the calcium can cause liver issues if they’re not laying yet.

Maybe she had digestive problems preventing her from absorbing the nutrients she needed. Was she eating layer feed or grower? I’ve heard the calcium can cause liver issues if they’re not laying yet.
Interesting - I didn't think of that. She was eating layer feed as were the other two

I’ve had an older chick develope wry neck from eating the wrong feed, but none of the others developed any symptoms. I feel like that particular chick had trouble absorbing vitamin e. Some chickens will pick out their favorite stuff from the feed only and end up w deficiencies. Your pullet could’ve had a tumor somewhere preventing her from flourishing like the others

Back
Top Bottom