Pullet died, 36+ hours later no rigamortis!?

mysweetgypsy

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
I had a BO pullet, roughly 18-20 weeks old, die a few days ago, (Tuesday midday). I was saving the hen for a necropsy, she was in a box in the cellar. Yesterday I decided to put her in a bag in the freezer, as the lab is taking FOREVER. After 36+ hours she's still very soft and pliable. No rigamortis at all. Kind of freaked me out! What is going on?!

Her symptoms were odd when sick. She had cocci at 6 weeks and never really recovered. She was always skinny, unthrifty, didn't grow well, and after her crooked beak buddy died, she really wasted away. Her comb was very pale, but she would eat and drink and her poop was normal. On her last day she lay down and just couldn't get to her feet again. I put her in a box and within a few minutes she was dead. After the cocci she always looked off, but her decline was pretty quick in the end. I posted and people suggested Mareks, that's why I was saving her for the lab.

So here I am now, days later and wondering what the heck is going on?! The rest of the flock looks perfect!! Does this indicate what she may have had? Has anyone else ever seen this?

rigor will set in, and then go away again as the tendons and ligaments begin to break down, you probably just missed the rigor stage.

Quote:
X2
What a shocker that must have been!
th.gif

Last edited:
I've never kept a dead animal for anything. So yes, I was SOOOO upset!!!! Now I suppose my reaction was funny, but I was pretty freaked out at the time
lol.png
Thanks
smile.png

Yeah, it's kind of a weird thing you don't really find out about until you've been around enough dead little bodies and then only morbid people like us would notice such a thing!
wink.png

I feel very silly now
tongue.png
What makes it worse is that I have several pre-vet classes behind me, way back when. I never remember hearing this little fact, I think it would have stuck with me. Hopefully you all had a good laugh
lol.png
It's ok I don't mind
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom