pullet egg color question

afj6710

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
We got our first eggs 5 days ago. There has been an egg every day since then. The first 3 days, the eggs were a very pale creamy, very slightly pink color. The past 2 days, they have been a light brown with a slight pink tint, kind of like many of the store bought eggs we've gotten. Is it more likely that I have more than 1 pullet laying or that the eggs from the same hen are changing colors?

I have 11 pullets - 24-27 weeks. 6 barred rocks, 3 buff orpingtons, and 2 "mutts" that look like they have some Wyandotte in them, maybe.

3 of my BRs have VERY red combs and wattles that are getting really big, 3 BRs have lighter red combs and wattles, 3 orps have dark pink combs and wattles that are getting bigger, and the 2 mutts are much slower to mature - smaller than all the other chickens, their combs (pea) are very little and not very dark. All the rocks and orps are filling out and have that "hen" shape.

It sounds like 2 different hens to me.

The only time I noticed a colour change is the brown eggs from my RIRs were getting paler at the end of a laying season. It is gradual, not all at once.

Would you guess two different breeds, with that much color difference, or not necessarily?

I would agree that it is two different breeds. We have 2 Golden Comets whose eggs are virtually identical, and we also have two Cherry Eggers. Their eggs are lighter than the Golden Comets, but their eggs are different; one is lighter than the other, but not a different color.

I *think* my mystery may be solved. When I went to feed the chickens this morning, one of my BR girls was getting into one of the nest boxes. Kind of surprised me b/c it wasn't one of the more mature looking ones. I was gone all day and just went to go check for eggs and found one of my BO girls getting out of a different nest box. There was 1 egg in each box - the more brown egg in the one that the BR was in, and a little creamy egg in the box the BO was in. So, I'm assuming that my first couple of eggs were actually from my BOs.

Quote:
You're probably right, but it's worth noting that when my BR girls first started laying, the first few eggs they laid were almost pink. Definitely a very light rosy brown-ish. It took each of them 3 to 7 days to get to that lovely rich brown color.

The good part is that you've got your first eggs! Woot!
wee.gif

corgiscatsandchickens
You're probably right, but it's worth noting that when my BR girls first started laying, the first few eggs they laid were almost pink. Definitely a very light rosy brown-ish. It took each of them 3 to 7 days to get to that lovely rich brown color.

I agree with you on that. When my BR started laying, her eggs were a pinky beige. All three of my BR are now laying, one in the late morning, one, early afternoon & one late afternoon. Tues. all 3 took a break from laying.
tongue.png

Fiesta was having a hissy fit, because Baby Girl was still on the nest. Mind you I have 4 nest boxes, so I told her to use a different one.
So today, egg 1 was in box 2, egg 2 was in box 1 & egg 3 was in box 4. They should be happy, I added more wood shavings to their nest boxes.

Opinions
smile.png
When should I remove the golf balls? I still have 11 hens who have not started laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom