Pullet has sticky clear liquid dripping from her beak!

Clucky_Ellie123

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Australia
So I went to feed my chickens some fermented chicken feed and one of my Gingerham pullets pecked at it a couple of times before walking backwards and swinging her head from side to side. I noticed a clear, mucus-like substance dripping from her beak (it looked sort of like human saliva) and I was confused. She doesn’t look very sick and she’s always eager to eat and drink.

When she was a chick ( around 6 to 7 weeks i think) I noticed that same liquid hanging off her beak after she drank. Other than that, she seems to be fine. She’s not isolating herself and she looks happy.

I dont know if this has anything to do with the liquid, but a few months ago, the same pullet kept walking backwards every few steps. I didn‘t think much of it so I fed them some scrambled eggs and garlic a few times a week and it went away last month. Anyone know what’s happening to my pullet? Should I be worried?

What do you feed including treats?
How old is she?

First thing to do is make sure her crop is emptying completely overnight.
If it's not empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, read the article and let us know how she's doing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She is nearly 27 weeks old. I feed them layer pellets and I sometimes mix it with some water or ferment it. For treats, I give them cabbages, carrots, broccoli and watermelon. Sometimes, I give them some leftover pasta or bread. I‘ll check on her crop tomorrow in the morning.

I checked my chicken’s crop this morning and it felt normal and I couldn’t smell an odour from her head. She’s eating and drinking and doesn’t appear sick at all🤔

Back
Top Bottom