Pullet ID: Rooster or properly feminine pullet?

MirPanda

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Austin
Our silver wyandotte just turned 5 weeks on thursday - her comb and wattle are super pink, pinker than our other pullets (but they're other breeds: australorp, buff orp, chantecler), she had a massive growth spurt in like 4 days where she doubled in size and height, she acts kinda wierd, flightier and more solitary, has visable spurs on her legs (though they all do,hers are larger), and my husband thinks her head is more angular.

anyone have a vote on if this is a young roo or just a normal wyandotte pullet??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirandypandy/3800480959/in/set-72157616680663252/

I'd say Roo, my 17 week SLW doesn't even have a comb, at that young age i'm sure it's a boy.

29933_p1030229.jpg

Last edited:
My SLW hen had a rapid growth spurt and redness of the comb and wattles, but she had a hen looking body with tail feathers and smallish feet. I believe what we are seeing is a Rooster. I do not have a Rooster to compare but my hen did get red wattles, red comb, and growth spurt at the same time. IF the wattles grow bigger, then yes definately roo. My hen is now17 weeks and she has had no further growth of the wattles but they have gotten redder with little larger comb and still has small feet. Plus I have an egg and know for sure she is a hen.

Could you post a picture of that red comb/wattled hen?
thanks,
miranda

ps, if he IS a rooster - any recommendations of what i should do with him?

Back
Top Bottom