Gender confirmation/guess for 1 month old chicks

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
This is my Thanksgiving Clutch (named for when the eggs were set-not hatched). They are barnyard mixes about 1 month old. I think I know genders, but wanted more opinions.

First are the suspected cockerels-
Cranberry combed up FAST and has always been very outgoing. No doubt he’s a he. Which is unfortunate because he’s a nice personable bird so far, but we’re full up on roosters.
Cranberry:
IMG_5434.jpeg
Next is Turkey. Thought this one was a girl for the longest time, then a few days ago I saw red waffles and then the comb popped & turned red simultaneously. Pretty confident now that it’s a male.
Turkey:
IMG_5435.jpeg
Then we have Cider the Wyandotte mix. Comb is significantly pinker and larger than sibling, and he had a lot of rusty/brown in his down when he hatched. I’m pretty sure male.
Cider:
IMG_5436.jpeg
Next pretty definite male is Crumble. Wide legs, pretty heavily feathered legs (I’m beginning to think this can be a clue to indicate male birds?). Mom is a Noir Marans with very lightly feathered legs. Dad is clean legged, so Crumbles feathered legs seem excessive. Has heavier feathering on legs than both full siblings. Comb is large and light pink.
Crumbles:
IMG_5437.jpeg
Chick #4 is Potato. Was suspected female due to quiet, shy nature. But now I think male. Comb isn’t as big as other boys but is darker pink.
2 pics of Potato:
IMG_5444.jpeg
IMG_5443.jpeg
Chick #5 is Biscuit. I’m a little less certain, but leaning male. As a young chick, he flogged me constantly. I’ve never had a chick be that aggressive. He’s mellowed out, and no longer attacks, but still avoids. Of the eleven one-month-old babies, he was the only one I couldn’t get to come outside for decent pics.
3 pics of Biscuit:
IMG_5461.jpeg
IMG_5460.jpeg
IMG_5459.jpeg

The only chick I don’t have a guess about is Harvest. Harvest is a full sibling to Crumbles, and is kind of shy. Legs are clean.
2 pics of Harvest (yellow band). Apologies for the photo bombing messy Orp floof in the background:
IMG_5438.jpeg
IMG_5442.jpeg

Okay, and now the suspected pullets-
Sprouts is full sibling to Cider. Her chick down was solid black. Her comb is identical in shape, but smaller and yellower than his. Wattles just turned pink, though. Upright posture in second pic was the result of an alert call.
Two pics of Sprouts:
IMG_5445.jpeg
IMG_5446.jpeg
Next is Giblet. Sweet, friendly, colorful. Full sibling to Turkey & Cranberry. Comb literally turned pink yesterday. Still leaning girl. I think she’s built like a hen.
Giblet’s 3 pics:
IMG_5451.jpeg
IMG_5448.jpeg
IMG_5450.jpeg
Next is my favorite, Cassie (for Casserole). She’s a full sibling to Harvest and Crumbles. Small, yellow comb. Some feathering on legs. Chill, lower energy, calm.
Cassie: IMG_5463.jpeg
Maple is last. I totally missed her when taking photos 🙁. Maple I thought was male for a while. Hatched very rusty/brown, big bird, upright posture. But she is looking more pullet now. These pics are from 1-2 weeks ago. Her color is nearly identical to her now 1-year old sister when they were the same age.
2 terrible pics of Maple (she’s in the middle of the 2nd one):
ETA- Current pics of Maple added in comments
IMG_5118.jpeg
IMG_4904.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you have it right. Only Maple and Harvest are questionable. I think Harvest is probably male, but it will take a little longer to tell. Not the best picture of Maple, so I won't guess on that one, but it will probably take a bit longer for that one, too.

Here are some updated pics of Harvest. She’s 8/9 weeks old now, and I’m still having a hard time guessing gender. Comb is on the smaller side, but larger than the obvious pullets. Comb & wattles are pink (not yellow or red like the others). I was leaning female, but then noticed some red leakage on the shoulders and iridescent feathers. Any guesses?

I may also post some updated pics of Potato later. I’m not so confident anymore that Potato is male…

Attachments

• IMG_5701.jpeg
    IMG_5701.jpeg
    731.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5700.jpeg
    IMG_5700.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5699.jpeg
    IMG_5699.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5698.jpeg
    IMG_5698.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5697.jpeg
    IMG_5697.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5704.jpeg
    IMG_5704.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 6
I’m fairly sure Harvest is a pullet, as she’s got a small comb and wattles. Make specific feathering won’t appear until about twelve weeks, so we can’t go off of that yet. Feel free to post photos of Potato!

Back
Top Bottom