Pullet in nesting box all day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lucy4, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,

I have a 6 month old girl who has been sitting in the nesting box all day (since 7 am). She may have left and gone back, I don't know... but I've been out there 4-5 times today and she's been in there each time. The other girls laid their eggs elsewhere, since I only have one box.

The one time I approached her she got distressed, though that's normal for her when laying. But it's worrying me that she's been in there that long. What could be wrong and what should I do?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. chicklin

chicklin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville
    She has probably gone broody!

3. Lucy4

Oh boy... I didn't even think of that. Um... so do I need to do anything for her or worry about her? How long does it last? I don't have a roo, not sure if that makes a difference.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Well, if she is broody and you don't want to hatch any (boughten) eggs, then you need to break her of it.. wire cage, no bedding with food/water.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Check her vent and make certain that she doesn't have an egg stuck.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If she puffs up to 3 times her size and screams at you, she's broody.

7. Lucy4

Quote:Yup, that's exactly what she's doing. I'm afraid to check her vent -- she's scary! (But I will, just in case.)

Ok, I'll borrow my friend's cage. How long does it take to break them of it? Do all hens become broody, even if you don't have a roo?

8. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Not all hens go broody. It has been bred out of a lot of breeds because they don't lay when they're setting eggs.

RSD

9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    UGH! If you were closer, I'd rent her butt for my eggs! I really need a broody; the eggs keep breaking when I sit on them...

10. Lucy4

Well, I took her out of the box to check her vent. It looks fine... I'm assuming something would catch my attention if it wasn't.

I moved her into the middle of the coop (we have a small playhouse) but she immediately assumed her laying position, all puffed up in indignation at me. I also removed the egg she was sitting on.

Wow, I feel really guilty, like I took away her baby. [​IMG] Poor Rosie! But I'm assuming she'll just keep trying until I cage her, correct?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by