Pullet in nesting box all day?

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
where chickens dare to tread..
Hi,

I have a 6 month old girl who has been sitting in the nesting box all day (since 7 am). She may have left and gone back, I don't know... but I've been out there 4-5 times today and she's been in there each time. The other girls laid their eggs elsewhere, since I only have one box.

The one time I approached her she got distressed, though that's normal for her when laying. But it's worrying me that she's been in there that long. What could be wrong and what should I do?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Oh boy... I didn't even think of that. Um... so do I need to do anything for her or worry about her? How long does it last? I don't have a roo, not sure if that makes a difference.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Quote:
Yup, that's exactly what she's doing. I'm afraid to check her vent -- she's scary! (But I will, just in case.)

Ok, I'll borrow my friend's cage. How long does it take to break them of it? Do all hens become broody, even if you don't have a roo?

RedStarDaddy

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Not all hens go broody. It has been bred out of a lot of breeds because they don't lay when they're setting eggs.

RSD

catwalk

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
UGH! If you were closer, I'd rent her butt for my eggs! I really need a broody; the eggs keep breaking when I sit on them...

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Well, I took her out of the box to check her vent. It looks fine... I'm assuming something would catch my attention if it wasn't.

I moved her into the middle of the coop (we have a small playhouse) but she immediately assumed her laying position, all puffed up in indignation at me. I also removed the egg she was sitting on.

Wow, I feel really guilty, like I took away her baby.
sad.png
Poor Rosie! But I'm assuming she'll just keep trying until I cage her, correct?

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom