Pullet injured by cockerel and is now stargarzing

countrychix

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Frewsburg, NY
One of our 5 month old pullets is stargazing and unable to walk, she just flops around. I am certain it was one of my cockerels as he has been going after the girls very aggressively for a while now. I don't know what to do to help her. I have vitamins and selenium and will give her a dose in a bit but have never had any luck with that combo. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW the cockerel has been processed as was my intention all along, just really didn't have time to do it today but I couldn't risk losing another girl. We lost one last week and now I think he may have (unintentionally) killed her. She just never came back to roost one night and the next evening I spotted her dead and half eaten in the field.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Bummer. I had an aggressive cockerel hit a pullet and she had the same thing going on. Turns out, he broke her neck, but didn't dislocate it enough for it to be fatal. She could never lift her head above her knee level, though. She had to be culled. I should have culled him at the same time as he turned into the WORST rooster ever. He got his in the end, but it didn't bring back the girls he killed and/or damaged in the process.

I am guessing you are going to need to cull her. Sorry. I hope I am wrong.

I just wanted to suggest that she also could have an infectious disease such as Mareks or some others that are pretty rare in the US. Sorry that you were dealing with a mean rooster. It's good that he is not around anymore.

Back
Top Bottom