Pullet is a monster when laying...

How big are the nests, can you provide the dimensions in inches, length x width x height, or possibly provide pictures? We use shredded paper for bedding. DH works in an office and brings it home in large bags. It's nice and clean to transport and handle, is absorbent and does not foster lice or mites. It's free, wonderful stuff!

My grandparents owned a farm and I learned at a young age - "you don't bother people while they are in the bathroom or a hen while she's on her nest". Granted, they didn't mind a broody hen since they raised chickens for both meat and eggs, but we were always taught never to reach under a hen for an egg and to just collect later.

I'm not sure what your nests look like, but if could you increase the lip/wall to have them keep bedding inside? We put down some wood chips and then shredded paper on top like others and haven't had a problem.

I am clueless as to why there is a need to reach under the chicken to get the egg so quickly. What happens if you wait until she leaves the nest and get the egg then? That's what I always do and I've never had problems with broken eggs or anything like that.

I am clueless as to why there is a need to reach under the chicken to get the egg so quickly. What happens if you wait until she leaves the nest and get the egg then? That's what I always do and I've never had problems with broken eggs or anything like that.
Other hens may lay eggs in the same nest as a broody and you don't want want a staggered hatching, so you mark the eggs you want her to hatch and remove fresh eggs daily. If you don't, she may end up with way more eggs than she can cover, resulting in broken eggs and a lost hatch.

It’s def. a learned behavior, and now she attacks other birds, too. When out of the nest she’s still just the sweetest thing.

Well, she doesn't do it any more. But she also hasn't laid in about 7 months because she's too sick and frail to produce eggs. Heck, I wouldn't mind the pecking if she could just get a bit better lol. Poor girl.

Well, she doesn't do it any more. But she also hasn't laid in about 7 months because she's too sick and frail to produce eggs. Heck, I wouldn't mind the pecking if she could just get a bit better lol. Poor girl.
She's got chronic crop issues and is slowly improving. She doesn't have enough body mass to be healthy, let alone put in the energy and nourishment it takes to make an egg. The other five girls have been taking up her slack, so I don't mind her not laying - she's got a perfectly good excuse! But I hope she does improve...the new crop bra seems to be helping.

Back
Top Bottom