Pullet is a monster when laying...

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
My Dominique, Salt, has been laying since August and is adorable, soft, floofy, and so nice. I legit call her Puppy-Chicken. She's just plain sweet.
Except when she's on the nest.
I have to wear gloves to collect eggs from beneath her. She strikes with all four pounds of force she has, with that gleaming, sharp beak, rapid-fire, clucking angrily all the while. She's not broody. She drops her egg and goes. But I'm afraid of her when she's on the nest.
I wish there was some way to break her of this. She's only been like this a few days.
We often have younger kids over wanting to see our small flock. They love collecting eggs. What if one reaches under her and then has a bleeding peck mark or five inflicted on their hands?
Any answers?

Last edited:
Yes. But we try to collect eggs because often our pullets stand tall when squeezing out the egg, and we've had problems with egg having little 'dinks' in them.
All birds stand when the egg emerges.
Add more bedding?
You're not trying to leave your hand under there until the egg drops are you? :D

This almost sounds like learned behavior. If a hen strikes at you and you jerk your hand away, the hen learns that pecking works and will continue to strike, and become even more aggressive. If you can't wait till she's done, then my suggestion is to wear gloves and don't flinch. Let her peck to her heart's content. When she sees that it doesn't do any good, that you're going to ignore the pecking, she'll give it up and tolerate your hands in the nest and under her. I've used a glove on the hand that lifts her up, and a bare hand to remove the eggs from under a broody. After two or three days they just growl at me but don't peck any more. Once a hen has become quite aggressive it may be difficult to change her behavior but I do believe it can be done with persistence and patience. Good luck!

I wish there was some way to break her of this. She's only been like this a few days.
So she was fine with it before a few days ago?
I'd just leave her alone.
Most my birds have learned to be OK with my touching them in the nest, but a couple never settled for it.

So she was fine with it before a few days ago?
I'd just leave her alone.
Most my birds have learned to be OK with my touching them in the nest, but a couple never settled for it.
Yes. But she was always a little moody before. I'm just not sure why it's suddenly full-blown. She made me bleed today. :confused:

How big are the nests, can you provide the dimensions in inches, length x width x height, or possibly provide pictures? We use shredded paper for bedding. DH works in an office and brings it home in large bags. It's nice and clean to transport and handle, is absorbent and does not foster lice or mites. It's free, wonderful stuff!

I've never had any success breaking them of this. In my experience, nasty layers make good broodies and wonderful mamas. But if you're not looking for that, it is a problem.
Nothing I've tried has worked. I'm curious to see if anyone's had any success.
Yeah..our flock is only girls, and only six of them. I don't really have any need for a broody, but maybe this spring the fam will have a change of heart.

Back
Top Bottom