Pullet is a monster when laying...

Well... in her defense, I might get pretty pecky if someone interrupted my girl-business too.

it might just have to be a rule of the coop not to reach under anybody on a nest.
Yes. But we try to collect eggs because often our pullets stand tall when squeezing out the egg, and we've had problems with egg having little 'dinks' in them.

When I had a biting broody in my in-town flock and had top-opening nestboxes I would put the flat of my hand over her head and push her head into a corner while I rummaged for eggs underneath her.

Having my hand over her head that way prevented her from striking forcefully and using my hand flat kept her from getting a grip on anything.
Good idea, thanks.

Yes. But we try to collect eggs because often our pullets stand tall when squeezing out the egg, and we've had problems with egg having little 'dinks' in them.
All birds stand when the egg emerges.
Add more bedding?
You're not trying to leave your hand under there until the egg drops are you? :D

All birds stand when the egg emerges.
Add more bedding?
You're not trying to leave your hand under there until the egg drops are you? :D
Huh. Then my EE pullet has it all wrong.
I've tried....they just scratch and pluck it out.
No! Lol!

Yes. But she was always a little moody before. I'm just not sure why it's suddenly full-blown. She made me bleed today. :confused:
Hormones! She's getting wiser.. don't mess with hens on the nest.. seems like a simple enough rule to me.

Add roll away nest boxes that can be collected from without disturbing a laying hen maybe.. it's critical to her life she get that egg out and maybe part pf the lesson for the kids.. patience is a virtue and when she's done she'll let you know.. also a mama will fiercely protect her offspring, even the unborn! :love

If it's truly an issue and the hen is the one who need correction instead of the hen being persuaded.. then I'd re-home. Otherwise.. doing in shielded makes the most amount of sense..

To me, she may have been confused at first and has now decided that nest raiding is completely unacceptable.. Disturb them enough times.. a nest hider may be encouraged to seek peace elsewhere.

Ah yes, it's nearly impossible to keep nests bedded.. You might go with a nest mat of sorts that is one solid piece and won't scratch out. I built deeper nests. Figuring out what works for YOUR flock might be a process. :fl

Hormones! She's getting wiser.. don't mess with hens on the nest.. seems like a simple enough rule to me.

Add roll away nest boxes that can be collected from without disturbing a laying hen maybe.. it's critical to her life she get that egg out and maybe part pf the lesson for the kids.. patience is a virtue and when she's done she'll let you know.. also a mama will fiercely protect her offspring, even the unborn! :love

If it's truly an issue and the hen is the one who need correction instead of the hen being persuaded.. then I'd re-home. Otherwise.. doing in shielded makes the most amount of sense..

To me, she may have been confused at first and has now decided that nest raiding is completely unacceptable.. Disturb them enough times.. a nest hider may be encouraged to seek peace elsewhere.

Ah yes, it's nearly impossible to keep nests bedded.. You might go with a nest mat of sorts that is one solid piece and won't scratch out. I built deeper nests. Figuring out what works for YOUR flock might be a process. :fl
She sure is fierce!

Re-home isn't really in the book. She's a member of a pet flock of six, and we all love her so.

They are in the coop most of the day...so idk about nest hiding.

Like an excelsior pad?

Back
Top Bottom