Pullet is a monster when laying...

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
My Dominique, Salt, has been laying since August and is adorable, soft, floofy, and so nice. I legit call her Puppy-Chicken. She's just plain sweet.
Except when she's on the nest.
I have to wear gloves to collect eggs from beneath her. She strikes with all four pounds of force she has, with that gleaming, sharp beak, rapid-fire, clucking angrily all the while. She's not broody. She drops her egg and goes. But I'm afraid of her when she's on the nest.
I wish there was some way to break her of this. She's only been like this a few days.
We often have younger kids over wanting to see our small flock. They love collecting eggs. What if one reaches under her and then has a bleeding peck mark or five inflicted on their hands?
Any answers?

Last edited:
I've never had any success breaking them of this. In my experience, nasty layers make good broodies and wonderful mamas. But if you're not looking for that, it is a problem.
Nothing I've tried has worked. I'm curious to see if anyone's had any success.
Yeah..our flock is only girls, and only six of them. I don't really have any need for a broody, but maybe this spring the fam will have a change of heart.

I wish there was some way to break her of this. She's only been like this a few days.
So she was fine with it before a few days ago?
I'd just leave her alone.
Most my birds have learned to be OK with my touching them in the nest, but a couple never settled for it.

So she was fine with it before a few days ago?
I'd just leave her alone.
Most my birds have learned to be OK with my touching them in the nest, but a couple never settled for it.
Yes. But she was always a little moody before. I'm just not sure why it's suddenly full-blown. She made me bleed today. :confused:

My Asian has started doing this. She screams and puffs up at us. Even the other chickens. Then starts pecking. She will stay on the nest for a couple of hours. I thought she was trying to go broody. But once she lays she is back to her sweet self then jumps down and is off clucking around. I just leave her alone till she is done but I know not everyone has the ability to do that. I hope someone has a good way to stop it. :idunno

When I had a biting broody in my in-town flock and had top-opening nestboxes I would put the flat of my hand over her head and push her head into a corner while I rummaged for eggs underneath her.

Having my hand over her head that way prevented her from striking forcefully and using my hand flat kept her from getting a grip on anything.

Back
Top Bottom